**CHAPTER 07**

Lauren couldn't remember a time she'd said no to Camila. But then, she also couldn't remember a time Camila had said no to her.

Lauren hadn't put up any sort of fight the time Camila asked her to camp out in front of a store in freezing weather the day after Thanksgiving, the two of the shivering and nursing cup after cup of hot chocolate as they huddled together in the wee hours of the morning.

Camila hadn't immediately shot her down the time Lauren asked her to drive two states over, to drop her off at what would end up being a failed internship, the two of them staying up all night, listening to the radio, singing along and getting every single lyric wrong.

Lauren hadn't said no when Camila asked her to edit her papers, even though it was finals and Lauren had a great deal of studying to do.

Camila hadn't said no when Lauren asked her to stay the night after she came down with a bad case of the flu and felt miserable, even though Camila had a big exam the next day.

Camila didn't say no when Lauren drunkenly suggested they get matching tattoos (a star on the inside of their right wrists).

Camila didn't say no when Lauren called her in the middle of the night to complain about one of her classes.

Camila didn't say no when Lauren was hurt over the girl in their Economics class and needed someone to hold her.

(Lauren didn't say no when Camila asked her to take Matt home, didn't say no when she asked her to pretend to be her girlfriend.)

(It was only now that Lauren wondered if perhaps Carol was right after all—that perhaps it was time to say no.)

//

He was big, burly, and boisterous.

John Cabello had his mother's shade of brown eyes, his father's sandy hair, his brother's cheerful disposition, and his sister's attitude.

"So you're the girlfriend," he said the second he set eyes on her. His children—a boy of about eight named Peter and a girl of around fifteen named Ellie—stared dolefully at her, uninterested, unlike their father. His wife, Kate, was rubbing her temples tiredly.

"I am," Lauren said, shaking his offered hand, tightening her grip when he tightened his.

"Alejandro said Camila liked girls too. She never actually struck me as bi though. You, on the other hand, definitely give off the gay vibe," he said with a grin as he let go, flexing his hand repeatedly.

"John. Shut up," Elizabeth said, rolling her eyes. "He's not trying to be rude, Lauren," she explained, putting a hand over her brother's mouth. "He just doesn't have a filter. Says what he's thinking. Obviously, we all love you."

"Who said anything about not loving her?" John demanded, pulling away from his sister. "I just said she was gay. I'm stating a fact. Like, the sky is blue. You think by calling it blue, I'm accusing the sky of being sad? Or by calling her gay I'm accusing it of being bad?" He shook his head, giving Lauren a look, as if she was his confidant and he was telling her a secret. "Gotta say, I like you better than that other guy."

"Thanks. I think"

"Yeah, he was a jerk. God, Dad hated him, right Lizzie?"

"I can't talk to you," Elizabeth muttered, shaking her head. "Now Lauren's going to think we're all homophobic or something."

"Are you still on the gay thing? Dear lord, woman, give it a rest. Lauren, are you offended?"

"Not yet." His grin widened.