Byzantium of the North

Nunavut got off to a good start, but its momentum seems to have stalled. Why?

To the typical southerner, Nunavut is a territory filled with Inuit living a traditional lifestyle. It's a myth.

This vast territory is sparsely populated and as of 2016 only 37,000 peopled lived here, of which 31,000 were Inuit. Moreover, because of the enormous distances separating the two-dozen or so settlements, there's very little contact between them and some cultural and language differences exist.

The challenges of governing such a territory are so great that if it wasn't for Canada's arctic sovereignty claim, and the vast natural wealth buried here, these people would be living in much the same way as they have for thousands of years. The economic interests of Canada's elite have changed their lives and created an immensely complex governing problem.

Many of the new urban developments sprouting up in the greater Toronto area, for example, have more people than the whole of Nunavut. How can one provide services to 37,000 people living in 24 isolated settlements, spread over two million square kilometres of territory, to the same level as in southern Canada, with any notion of cost efficiency? It's impossible! And the Byzantine structure that's been put in place to safeguard Inuit culture and language makes it even more difficult.

Where are the Inuit visionaries of the twenty-first century?

Nunavut's ultra-low population density is a major problem for the territorial government; and compounding it is the reality that the territory is comprised of three distinct regions – Kikiqtani (Baffin Island), Kivalliq (western shore of Hudson Bay) and Kitikmeot (western part of Nunavut), which implies another level of government for the same 37,000 people.

Then, there is the Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated (NTI), the legal Inuit entity that ensures the promises made under the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement are fulfilled. It also coordinates and manages Inuit responsibilities set out in the agreement and ensures that the federal and territorial governments fulfill their obligations. Its mission is to foster Inuit economic, social and cultural well-being through the implementation of the agreement.

It and three regional legal entities are responsible for the management of all Inuit-owned land in Nunavut, and act as the advocate of Inuit interests in the territory. The board of directors of NTI comprises three executive officers of the corporation, two members from each of the three regional corporations and the chair of Nunavut Trust.

The latter holds in excess of $1.5 billion in assets and generated a net cash flow of about $45 million in 2016, or about $1,500 per Inuit man, woman and child in the territory. It sounds like a lot of money, but it doesn't amount to much in the daily lives of Nunavummiut. However, the few people managing the trust took home about $10 million that same year! Why have a trust when the money managers take 20% of disposable income? Given the critical housing shortage, why not build houses and rent them to low-income Inuit families? It might even increase the return on investment!

Where is the new generation of leaders that will make Nunavut work for its people?

To be sure, the federal government is the problem when it comes to housing and other essential services, but the Nunavut government isn't helping either. While the two governments bicker over principles, legalities and technicalities, the poor suffer! The problem, as I see it, is that there are way too many organizations involved in managing the welfare of less than forty thousand people.

Each of the three regional corporations is responsible for preserving Inuit heritage, culture and language; managing Inuit-owned lands in their respective regions; and protecting Arctic Wildlife and the environment, thereby preserving traditional uses for current and future generations.

However, it doesn't stop here. There are also three regional development organizations to expand business, the economy and career opportunities. If that wasn't enough, there are also three Community Economic Development Organizations to foster small business and economic development among Inuit entrepreneurs in communities, and help boost job skills of Inuit. And, on top of that there are three Inuit Investment corporations to help business start-ups, for infrastructure projects and sundry others. We're not talking about serving millions of people here!

From what I've seen, whatever they're doing doesn't seem to be filtering down to those in need!

Why is there such a complex maze of entities to administer the welfare of only 31,000 Inuit and 6,000 qallunaat living in Nunavut?

The above is an incredibly convoluted and inefficient governance structure that doesn't even include the town councils and the actual government of Nunavut, which comprises a legislature and 10 departments: Community and Government Services; Culture, Language, Elders and Youth; Economic Development and Transportation; Education; Environment; Executive and Intergovernmental Affairs; Finance; Health and Social Services; Human Resources and Justice. How do these departments relate to the regional corporations mentioned above?

It's really Byzantine! How does anything get done in Nunavut?

Where are the clear-thinking public administrators that can disentangle this complex structure to provide efficient government to Nunavuttium?

Why have such a large territory for so few people?

Why not break it up into three: Kikiqtani Territory, Kivalliq Territory and Kitikmeot Territory? This wouldn't change the population density, but it would eliminate a significant amount of costly and wasteful intraterritorial travel.

And speaking of travel, Iqaluit is only 2,000 km from Ottawa, which takes just over three ours by plane, but a return ticket costs about $2,800. On the other hand, a return ticket from Toronto to Calgary, a four-hour flight, can be purchased for about $1,000. Why is there such a big difference? Jet fuel purchased in Ottawa costs the same as that purchased in Toronto or Calgary!

Are southern airlines taking advantage of Nunavuttium?

There are only two airlines flying from Ottawa to Iqaluit – Canadian North and First Air.

Who owns First Air?

It's Bradley Air Services Limited, a southern corporation that's exploiting the Inuit. But wait, the Makivik Corporation, which is owned by the Inuit people of Quebec, owns Bradley.

And who owns Canadian North?

Well. It's the Inuvialuit Development Corporation, which is in turn owned by the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation.

Both airlines are Inuit owned, but from outside Nunavut. Why are Inuit companies exploiting their own people?

Whatever the reasons for the high cost of travel are, the high shipping prices charged by Inuit corporations hurt disadvantaged Inuit families throughout the territory because they increase the cost of basic food, which is flown in daily. Why are Inuit corporations doing this to their own people? It's against Inuit culture and their sharing tradition!

By embracing capitalism, are such Inuit organizations destroying the same culture they were encharged to protect, promote and preserve?

!