Four

"Ding!" I wake with a groan to see my phone lit up beside me. I reach out and grab it, looking at the time. It takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the bright light, but once they do I'm out of bed and scrambling around. Not only did I oversleep, I didn't even set an alarm!

           I quickly throw on a t-shirt for some random band and a pair of ripped skinny jeans. I grab my grey backpack and race down the stairs. My heart aches a bit as I run past my little brother's old bedroom, but I ignore the feeling as I stumble into the kitchen.

           My dad doesn't even bother to glance up as I snatch a granola bar out of the pantry and quickly lace up my favorite black combat boots. Actually, now that I think about it, I think my superhero costume has a similar pair only in dark brown...

           I quickly shake off those thoughts and race out the door to MJ's car. She laughs as I hastily shove my stuff into the back seat.

         "Let me guess, I woke you up?" She teases, pulling out of my driveway.

          "Hey, at least I didn't sleep through my alarm this time!" I reply, pulling on my seatbelt. Ever since she got a car for her birthday last year, MJ has been my ride to school. Luckily for me, that was right around the time the accident happened and my dad stopped acknowledging my existence. I very narrowly avoided having to take the bus to school like Peter.

          "Something tells me that the only reason you didn't sleep through your alarm is that you forgot to set one," MJ laughs, pulling into the school. I roll my eyes.

          "Oh shush." I slide out of the car and open the back door, grabbing my backpack. We walk into school, chatting about the upcoming English test. In all honesty, I didn't study, but I have a feeling that I'll do alright anyway.

          I push open the school doors, and MJ and I go our separate ways. She has Spanish first hour on the other side of the building, so she likes to get a head start walking there before school starts. I, on the other hand, have math with Peter, so we usually hang out. Harry likes to take the long way around the back of the school where the cheerleaders have their practice, so we usually don't see him in the mornings. Plus, Harry still has to spend a couple more days in the hospital after yesterday's attack.

         "Hey Pete, how's it going?" I ask, opening my locker. Our lockers are almost right next to each other, which is a good and bad thing. On one hand I never really get any time away from him - not that I'd want any. On the other hand, I always know whenever Flash locks him inside of his locker, so I can let him out.

           "You're in a pretty bubbly mood today... Any particular reason?" He smiles, grabbing his math textbook. Before I can reply Flash's voice fills the hallway.

          "Oh, Puny Parker... It's locker knocker time!" He slams his fist into a nearby locker, trying to look intimidating. If anything it makes him look pathetic, but I'd rather not be the one to point that out to him.

          I hear Peter sigh, and it suddenly occurs to me that there's no reason why he has to put up with this. I mean, yesterday I figured out that he's Spiderman. He could easily kick Flash's ass without even breaking a sweat. So, why doesn't he?

          Before I can ponder this any longer I realize that Flash is practically right in front of Peter. A split second before he can shove him into the locker though, another hand reaches out and grabs Peter by the front of his shirt, pulling him out of the way. Flash falls straight into Peter's open locker, and it shuts behind him.

          I turn, completely shocked by what just happened, to see a group of four new kids staring expectantly at Peter. My eyes immediately fall on a very pale, blonde haired boy who's standing at the back of the group. He has a relaxed expression on his face and, as much as I hate to admit it, he's extremely cute.

          I snap back to reality and quickly avert my gaze in time to catch their names - Luke Cage, Sam Alexander, Danny Rand, and Ava Ayala. Before I can say anything to them though, Ava tells Peter to "think about it."

          I look over at Peter to see a look of recognition flicker across his face. It's gone as soon as it appears though, and the bell rings before I can ask. Peter hurries away towards the principle's office while I make my way to math class, wondering who those kids are.