Chapter 9/Part 1

We drop Bet off at the centre and make our way to the academy. Second period has just started so we head up to the library, keen to speak to Jem about everything - about all the plans we've made to get Amelia's gran the help she needs and for Amelia to get all the support she needs. I have a sense of de ja vu when we walk into our safe haven and fine Jem once again talking with Mr Campbell. I almost panic, remembering the last time this happened, momentarily forgetting that things between Amelia and the school are settled.

'Come on in girls, Jem's just giving me gyp about budgets. Apparently there's not enough books in this place, eh!' I don't know why he seems to think the pair of us are about to agree with him. We're always in the library. We love books. I just stare at him, ayes and mouth both wide in shock and dramatically place a hand to my chest, as though in physical pain at the thought. It's Amelia who speaks up, and I'm shocked she's daring to be sassy to the head teacher - I'm honestly quite shocked she's being sassy at all but having seen how her gran is these days I see where she gets it from. Being Bet's carer has certainly brought Amelia out of her shell.

'Sorry sir, but there really are never enough books anywhere, so Jem is right. I mean, where's all the new books? A girl can only read so many 90s misogynist romances.' I snort, not expecting that answer. By the look on his face, neither can Mr Campbell. It comes and goes in a flash and he recomposes himself, giving Amelia a pointed look.

'Well, Miss Blume. The problem is we do not have the budget for the number of staff needed to handle a larger stock. We'd need at least another, oh I don't know, 8 hours worth of labour to cover it? - plus breaks and lunches.' A small grin spreads along his face, 'hmm, isn't that how much time you girls don't have of class between you with your free periods? Why, dare I say that we may have a work around.' I'm confused at first, glancing at Amelia. She seems to be on the same page as Mr Campbell, however.

'What was it you said to me about dropping some classes, Miss Blume? Well, perhaps we can come to an agreement. I'm going to go to my office and set up a library assistant programme for seniors. Miss Blume, I will, only this one, allow you to drop two subjects due to your current home situation provided you will help Jem out when you can. And Miss Fawkes? I hear you already volunteer some help to Jem, so I'd appreciate it if you would also sign up. I would like to see this place busy, and I'd like to give students recognition for the work they do here off their own accord. I'll see you in my office in ten minutes should you be up for it.' With that he walks away. I can't believe it. Having extra-curricular responsibilities is such a good CV enhancer but other than sport and music, we only had prefect duty and that's not that great a thing to have and finally I get the one I wanted - I helped create it! We hug Jem, excited that we get to officially work with her before rushing down to chat with Mr Campbell. By the time the bell goes for English I've forgotten about Alex and it's only when class starts and he's not in his seat that I wonder what's going on. I whisper to Amelia, pointing to the empty chair at the table next to ours.

'Do you think he's alright?' I ask, though I assume he's maybe avoiding me and get back to my essay. The day goes on and by the time we get to lunch I'm really worried about Alex. None of his friends have heard from him. I text him and get no reply so despite myself, I head out of the side doors to get some quiet and call him. He doesn't answer the first time, so I try again and get an instant pick up.

'Alex' I don't get to say anything more. His voice is harsh and rough. He sounds like he's been crying and as though he hasn't spoken in days - his throat dry and raspy.

'Elissa please. Not now. I can't. Please don't call me again. Not today.' I think that's it but just as I go to end the call I hear him whisper 'I'm sorry.' before he hangs up. What is going on? I stand there, frozen to the spot when Amelia bursts out of the door next to me.