Chapter Three

I fly back to the balcony and Celestia stands there. I land next to her and she puts her wing over me.
"Noctis Umbra, do you know why Luna chose a pegasus to teach rather than a unicorn with natural magical ability?"
I shake my head.
Celestia points towards the moon. "The moon chose you and Luna had no choice but to comply. I'm sure you've already noticed, the Princess of the Night has the ability to see the moon's rays. They shone on you, directing Luna to you. She observed you for years, going out of her way to find out what happened to your parents to test your power. She saw how much power you had and felt like she had no choice but to seal it away." Celestia bows her head, her hoof dropping to the ground. Her coat turns dull. "Noctis Umbra, when Alicorns have found a successor to their roles, they start to lose their magic. An Alicorns magic is its lifeforce. Since you were Luna's successor, her magic slowly leached into you until a small amount of her magic remained. She transferred it to her crown which became the catalyst for your transformation from a Pegasus to an Alicorn.
"I thought my successor was going to be Twilight Sparkle. When my magic didn't fade to assist her when she became an Alicorn, I realised her potential lay elsewhere. When Luna first spoke of you, I became scared. I didn't want to lose my sister. I convinced her to stall the teaching as soon as possible. I could have never predicted the events that transpired." Celestia heaves a heavy sigh. "My time is almost up. I have taught Star Shifter everything I can and he will rule alongside you as King of Equestria."
As she turns to walk away, I use my magic to create a large sword, slamming down in front of her. "Have you told Star Shifter yet?" I walk around her, my magic keeping the sword in place. I notice it chipped her horn. "Why is he going to be a king when you and Luna ruled as Princesses?"
"I told Star Shifter when he was young. He has been preparing for this day and he chose to rule as a King while Luna and I ruled as Princesses. Because of this, you will both be coronated as King and Queen, although you will both be able to marry other ponies and have a King or a Queen of your own." Celestia's horn glows, surrounding her crown. It lifts off her head and seems to absorb the glow. Celestia's horn stops glowing and the crown drops to the ground. Its changed to something more kingly.
"Star Shifter has called an important meeting. We should get to it." Celestia says, picking the crown up with her hoof and flying out the window. I fly behind her, using my magic to improve the brightness of her coat and hide the bags under her eyes, the signs of her being exhausted.

We land on a stage in Canterlot, Star Shifter, Twilight Sparkle and Cadence Mi Amore Cadenza waiting for us. I catch sight of three Alicorns in the crowd, Sweety Sparkle, Golden Rule and Flurry Heart. This is Star Shifters first time on this stage, causing the crowd to mumble amongst themselves.
"Citizens of Equestria," I know the three Alicorns in the crowd are using their magic to broadcast this to the entirety of Equestria and the Crystal Empire. "I, Princess Celestia, am abdicating the throne, leaving the duty of raising and lowering the sun and ruling Equestria to my son, Prince Star Shifter. As per request, you bear witness to King Star Shifter and Queen Noctis Umbra, ruling together as separate rulers of the Day and the Night. Unlike me and Luna, these two will have an active role in Equestria's rule, both day and night." Celestia gestures Star Shifter and Twilight Sparkle forward.
"I, Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship hereby crown Star Shifter King of Equestria." Twilight Sparkle takes the crown from Celestia's hoof and puts it on Star. The crown glows gold, the glow infusing itself into Stars horn. Cadence Mi Amore Cadenza puts her wing around Celestia, supporting her.
I feel wind behind me and turn around to see a pony landing. My eyes widen as my mentor, Princess Luna, lands with her wings out.
"Princess Luna!" I dive on the Alicorn, faceplanting the stage.
"Noctis Umbra, I am not actually here." I stand up, moving back to look at the Princess. "I am so proud of you, my student. I have one final gift for you." Her horn glows, taking the crown from my head, infusing her magic into it. "Citizens of Equestria, I am the magical essence of Princess Luna and I hereby crown Noctis Umbra Queen of the Night." She puts the crown on my head before disappearing. My horn tingles as the last of her magic finds its home inside me.
I face the cheering crowd, my head held high. I hold back my tears as Cadence Mi Amore Cadenza leads Celestia back to the castle. Twilight Sparkle follows with Star and me behind.

We manage to get Celestia to her bed before she collapses.
"Noctis Umbra, Star Shifter... I leave Equestria to you..."
Celestia closes her eyes before she disappears. Star Shifter hugs me, his tears soaking my fur. I put my front leg over his back, holding my own tears back. His wings have reverted back to his Changeling wings.
"You can't cry in front of Equestria, Star," I whisper in his ear. "It will be announced and you and I will have to make a public appearance."
He pulls back to look at me. "Did you go through this when Luna died?"
I nod. "Luckily, I had you and Celestia to help me and you have me."
He looks down, his crown slipping slightly off his head. "I'm going to go to my room." He walks out the room.

I sit on my throne. There are no nightmares tonight. A guard pony runs in, bowing in front of me.
"Noctis Umbra, we have received word from King Thorax. Chrysalis has declared war on the reformed Changelings and they request help from Equestria."
"Don't the Changelings have Twilight Sparkles student protecting them?"
The guard backs away slightly. "Yes. She has a barrier around the kingdom but she won't be able to hold it long."
I sigh, motioning for the guard to stay. "I have to talk to Star Shifter."
I leave the throne room and make my way to Stars room.
When I enter his room, his horn glows, probably to shut me out. He shuts the door behind me.
"Star Shifter," I say, walking towards him. He has his back to me. "We have business to attend to. The local Changeling community is being threatened and they've asked for assistance."
Star stands up, walking towards me. "I'll go undercover as a Changeling. Make sure you stay close with a weapon in case something happens." Green flames surround him and he turns into a perfect Changeling.
I make my way to my room, Star following behind. I take a sheath from my wardrobe and attach it to my side, under my wing.
We walk towards the throne room, the guard backing away at the sight of Star as a Changeling. I forgot the newer guards don't know about Stars Changeling side.
"There's no need to be alarmed. I have control of this Changeling. We are going to the rebel Changeling kingdom."
The guard nods, slowly walking backwards. Star and I slowly make our way to the Changeling hive.