Part XVIII

Chanyeol

"How's the new place?"

"It's nice. I'm still not used to it yet."

I chuckled. "I think that's not natural. It's only been a week and a half since you moved in."

He pouted a little. "Feels like longer. I miss you being right across the hall."

"I just miss you."

"Sap."

I laughed and moved to lay on my side. "It must be nice to back at school."

"Yeah, though, I think they've become more chaotic since we became seniors. I'm afraid they've succumbed the loud, obnoxious senior stereotype."

"You complain now, but you'll definitely miss it after graduation."

"You sound like my dad."

"Well, he's a wise man. Great minds think alike."

He let out a small laugh. "How's school been for you?"

"It's fine. None of them have really talked to me or Kyungsoo as far as I know. It was a little awkward at first, but I'm personally feeling better about the whole thing honestly."

"Good. That means it was a good choice."

I hummed and nodded, smiling briefly. My eyes flickered to the time in the corner of my screen. "It's late. I suppose I should let you get some sleep."

He groaned softly. "Fine, but I won't like it. I've been having trouble sleeping since I can no longer be cuddled."

"But you can sleep in longer because you don't have to run back to your room before the housekeeper comes in."

"True, but cuddling is worth the risk. You're warm. I like warm things."

"Well, I can compromise and give you a long, warm hug when you come over this weekend."

His eyes narrowed in thought for a moment. "I'll accept that. But I define the terms of how long a long hug is."

"Deal."

Baekhyun smiled at me. "Goodnight, Yeollie," he said after a minute of silence.

"Night," I replied, waiting for him to hang up before turning my phone off and reaching over to connect it to my charger.

A week and a half had felt like an entire year to me. The house suddenly felt bigger and emptier without him around and I hated every moment of it. I didn't bother telling him about those feelings, though; it wasn't like there was anything he or even I could do about it. 

:::::::::

Getting through the next three days until Saturday proved to be a challenge. I had been on edge ever since my dad told me he invited them over for dinner, so much so that I was beginning to feel like I would actually spontaneously combust. On the evening they were supposed to come over, I tried to distract myself by watching some television and playing some video games, but the moment I heard the doorbell ring, I was practically sprinting out of my room and down the stairs.

"I got it," I said right as the housekeeper appeared to open the door. She looked at me suspiciously for a few seconds before nodding and walking away. I patted down some of the wrinkles in my shirt and then twisted the knob to open the door. "Hey," I said, smiling but not too wide.

"Hi," Baekhyun replied, flashing a smile back at me. I opened the door wider and bowed at his dad as he walked in.

"Welcome," my dad said as he came down the staircase. "I'm so glad you both could make it."