Ch 7: Borderland

After passing the lush, parallel mounds of The Farm, the truck moved from the uniformly flat, paved roads of Zone A to the bumpy, rough terrain of the desert surrounding the Community. Occasionally the constant shakiness made one of the masked men looked back through a tiny window to check on their captive.
“She's starting to move around a bit. What do we do if she wakes up? They told us to bring her back unhurt,” he said.

“Well, you shoulda have thought of that befoe you shocked her,” the other one said. “As long as the Pearlie alive, we still get credit for the job,”

They continued on until saw a long silver boundary far off in the distance but blocking the commonly chosen path to their destiny. As they moved closer, they saw that the silver boundary was a familiar short wall with tall enough to go over their wheels. Leaning on the wall was another tall, thin masked figure who appeared to be waiting for them. The truck stopped and one of the figures stuck his head out the window.

“Hey! What is this?” he said.

“I was told to see if the girl is secure,” the figure on the wall replied.

“Then why waste our time with a roadblock? Why didn't they contact us earlier on our radios?”

“Umm... Well, they...” the figure stuttered. He paused, looking down at his “They said that... that...the truck they gave you was... had faulty parts,” He walked towards the truck, rubbing his hand down the side as he made his way to the back. “It could break down anytime. It's best if it is examined before you go any further.”

“We'll its workin fine right now. If we have any problems you can follow behind us, but I'm not stayin out here longer than I have to.”

“I'm turning around. You should move before...What?” The other masked man pushed foot down on the gas pedal but the truck did not move.

“What's happening? Why aren't we moving?”his partner yelled.

The engine made a sputtering, choking sound, and the wheels rolled a little, but they didn't move.

“Shuddap! I'm pressin the pedals and movin dis wheel but it ain't movin!”

After slamming down harsh on the pedal one more time, the truck made a loud rumble and then stopped as the truck powered down. He turned the keys in ignition but the only response he got was a soft sputtering from the engine.

“Damn, the truck is out. Hey! You can look at the truck now!” he said. They both walked out of truck and met the other figure at the back.

He twisted the nobs and locks and pushed up the door. On the floor was Angeline's limp body sprawled on the metal floor.

“Did you just throw her on the floor? He jumped up into the truck and slowly creeped up to her. He kneeled down and watched her closely. Though she was still unconscious,she made little wheezing noises as she pulled in breath through her nose.

“Are you gonna keep staring the Pearlie or are you going to fix the engine?” One of them yelled at him.

“Ummm... Yes. Of course. Just making sure the... subject wasn't damaged or.... anything,” When he stood up quickly, he wobbled from side to side to regain his balance as he moved towards the edge of the truck.

“Hey! Don't break your foot or anything? You're getting us back. Don't know why your starin so hard? Da girl's got nothin in the front or back,” one of the masked men said. His voice gave away the annoyance that was building up in both of them.

They moved out of the way as the masked man jumped back to the ground.

“Yes... Everything's good here. I'll just get my tools and have a look at that engine. I just need you two to...to go back in and test the controls when I tell you to. Got it?”