Ch 9: Adjustment

Angeline had never tasted something so flavorful. She tried to remember her reaction training from the Community, but the sweet bread overrode her senses. Mrs. Mary continued to try and comfort her, but it only made her feel worse for causing her trouble and surprisingly hungry. I have to keep calm. It's just food, but it was so... good. I have to stop. Have to.

“I understand, Angeline. You've never had anything other than that terrible Community food. It's only natural for you to feel so overwhelmed,” she said. “You don't have to hide your emotions from me that's why I'm here. What do you want to do?”

Angeline picked her head up though she was sniveling quite a bit.

“If you dddon't if you don't mind, I'd like to eat more of it please,” she stammered.

“That's fine. Here you go,” Mrs. Mary replied. She passed her the bread and in spite of herself stuffed a big chunk of it in her mouth. The sensation was even stronger than ever, and she quickly devoured the rest of the loaf with no anymore hesitation. Unfortunately, being only use to paste, there was a brief moment where she nearly choked on the bread and spat a chunk on the table.

“I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to make a mess. I... I'll clean this up,” she said. She got up and looked around for a rag to clean with. A few minutes here and I'm already making a fool of myself. It's like the vomit again.

“Here just use this one.” Mrs. Mary handed her a reddish cloth. She hesitated taking it. She had only seen such a color on a rag unless it was stained by blood. Even though it was dry, images of soggy bandages wrapped around a freshly bruised leg made her shutter as she wiped the stray spittle.

“You look very tired. Why don't you take a nap right now and I'll help you both settle things when you're well rested,” Mrs. Mary said. She gave her a gentle smile, but Angeline could see that her reactions made her uncomfortable.

“You are right. I'll be better when I'm fully rested.” Slipping the slightly wet bread chunk into her pocket, she left the table and fell asleep the moment her head hit the mat.

She awoke in the afternoon. Acci was standing up, looking with absolute disdain at the long white shirt and brown skirt in her hands.

“Am I supposed to wear this? It's like a big ole blanket,” she whined, tossing the clothes to the floor.

“It's not that bad.” When Mrs. Mary picked them up, she saw that Angeline was awake. “How was your nap, dear? Are you feeling better?”

“Yes I am, thank you,” Angeline said. She stood up and Mrs. Mary handed her a plastic bag.

“Here are some new clothes for you. If you still want your old one, I can wash them and give it back to you if you prefer to wear them.”

“No it's fine. Since I'm not going back to my Community,” She let out a long breath. “There's no reason to hold onto it anymore. Do with it as you wish.”

She took out the shirt and skirt out of the bag and gave them the similar scrutiny. The length of them were fine but the shirt had short sleeves. If she wore it, her arms would be fully exposed in public for the first time.

“You don't like it?” Mrs. Mary asked.

“No, it's not that. I like it but-”

“It's ugly! Can I git somethin shorter? I'll sweat so bad in dis,” Acci said, interrupting Angeline.

“I don't have anything shorter, sorry. Though my granddaughter can definitely help adjust it, and if you have something to trade, you can go to Maris' shop if you want another one. “Though none of them will be as... short as what you're use to,” Mary sighed. It was clear the questioning was tiring her out, but to Angeline it did not look like Acci cared.