Insomniacs

The passenger side window was rolled down as Cali held her arm out of the car, the wind pushing against the palm of her hand as she twirled her fingers. It was late, but neither her or Felix were tired. In fact, they were wide awake. They shared a common friend who left the nights long and the mornings short.

"Where to tonight?" Felix casually asked, taking his time to look at Cali.

It was four in the morning and the roads were deserted in their town. Right now, they were the only two in their small world. They drove under a street light, Cali's features appearing for a split second before disappearing in the darkness. Her face was void of any emotion, and her lips were still stained with the red lipstick she had yet to take off. If anyone saw her, they'd say she looked bored and tired.

In fact, Cali wished she was tired. Because if she was tired, that meant she'd be curled up under her blankets and on her way to dance with the fairies in her dreams.

Cali sighed, retracting her chilled arm back inside the truck. "Anywhere but home."

Felix nodded, turning his blinker on as he sped up. They've spent many nights like this, driving wherever they desired until the sun broke the horizon, ending their adventures until the next night. There wasn't a single part of this town that they haven't explored. From the beach trips on the other side of town, to those late-night hiking trips that usually took a bit of coaxing and begging on Felix's part. He always got her to say yes in the end. Cali's favorite however, were when they stopped at a Denny's or a small restaurant that catered to truck stop drivers.

Cali suddenly leaned forward, digging through the glove department. Felix, who's used to Cali's random bursts of energy, focused on the road as he turned the radio up.

Reaching above her, she turned on the car light illuminating Felix. "Smile," she softly said.

He rolled his eyes, his mouth curling up into a half smile as Cali held her icy blue Instax camera up to take his picture. "You're obsessed with that thing," Felix teased her, his eyes crinkling as she shook the small photo.

Cali shifted, bringing her feet onto the seat as she leaned towards Felix. She was close enough to smell the lingering scent of his cologne he had sprayed on that morning. It reminded her of those cold nights where you knew it was going to snow because you felt it in your bones.

"Let's get lost," Cali suddenly murmured.

Felix softly smiled at her. "We know this town like the back of our hands."

In the small truck, Cali rested her head on Felix's shoulder, capturing his attention. He silently turned off the overhead light, cloaking them in darkness as their fingers laced together without hesitation.

"Then I guess it's time we find a new town, Felix."