Pilot: The Death of Sarah Jane Smith

INT: LUKE'S BEDROOM

Luke's phone rings. He looks at the clock - 05:01 - he quickly grabs his phone, understanding the urgency. The date reads 16/11/13. He answers the phone and his face sinks. He drops his phone, shaking.

INT: HOSPITAL

In the next shot, he is seen running through a hospital ward with Sky, looking in each room. Later, Clyde and Rani run through the hospital, bumping into several doctors and nurses. They stop and stare into a room. Luke is sat next to Sky, holding a withered hand, crying. Clyde and Rani share his grief and sit. A tear rolls down Rani's cheek and Clyde wraps his arms around her, crying also.

INT: CHURCH

The screen fades to black - then, a funeral - one week later. A picture of Sarah Jane stands atop a wooden coffin. Many familiar faces sit on the benches, including Jo Grant Jones, Santiago Jones, Kate Stewart, Osgood, Carla Langer, Gita and Haresh Chandra and K-9. Luke stands beside the coffin with a sheet of paper.

Luke: Mum was... She was... She was mum. She was an inspiration to everyone who knew her. Unfortunately some of those people couldn't make it. The most important man in her life, and the hardest man to contact - the Doctor. The Brigadier who we unfortunately lost just last year. Surgeon-Lieutenant Harry Sullivan, who we also regret is dead. But if I know my mum, she's up in heaven right now with them and smiling down on us. Towards the end it was no secret that she saved the world from alien invasions countless times. It's funny in a way. All those aliens that tried to kill her. And it was the cancer that finished her off. The woman who spent her life surviving alien attacks, survives the aliens yet again. She will forever be missed. So promise me one thing. Whenever you find yourself in trouble, or pain, or sadness, or grief. Look up to the sky and think about her. Think: what would Sarah Jane do? For that reason, myself, my sister Sky, and our friends Clyde and Rani will continue to defend the Earth in her honour. In the name of Sarah Jane Smith. Uh, her final wishes were to give away her things to those who she loved most.