(Mis)Trust (Pt 1)

Gene loved adventuring.

Walking down the road from Meteli, he yawned as he shrugged his shoulders. He would really have to rent a room at an inn or get to his house sometime, so he could take off his armor while still being safe. He was just getting near the watchtower when he spotted two soldiers wearing glass armor, with a mage before them and... a Meif'wa?

Picking up his speed, Gene moved past the soldiers and confronted the wizard.

"You are getting in the way of official Tu'La business." The mage growled, narrowing her eyes at him. "Be gone!"

"Last time I had checked, which was only a few minutes ago, Meif'was had nothing to do with the assassination of Lord Garte of O'khasis." Gene pointed out, giving the Meif'wa a sideways glance.

"You dare speak against the word of Tu'La?" She sneered, preparing a shock spell in her hands. "I'll just have to deal with you myself, then!"

After killing the two soldiers and wounding the mage, she glared at him with bared teeth. The Meif'wa was leaned up against a rock, greatly wounded and wearing nothing but rags. The cat hybrid watched them both with panicked eyes, her ears tilted downwards.

"This is not the last that you'll see of me, you..." The mage began, before disappearing.

"You're wounded, pretty badly at that." Gene observed, kneeling down in front of the Meif'wa. "Here, let me patch you up."

"T.. Thank you..." The Meif'wa smiled weakly, lifting her head a bit. "This one is not used to such kindness... but you must go to Phoenix Drop, and find her Kitten!"

"Don't move, you'll reopen those wounds." He warned her, before picking up on her request. "What is this about a Kitten?"

"Before those elves took this one prisoner, she had a human with her... this one protected him, she risked her life to protect him." She explained, wincing slightly. "Please, find this one's Kitten! If stranger does not, then she risked her life for nothing!"

"Alright, I'll find your Kitten. Will you be alright?" He asked her, standing up.

"This one can take care of herself. Now go! Find her Kitten, and make sure he is safe." She said, standing up as well.

"Is there anything I should know about him, like his name?" He asked, putting his gauntlets back on.

"His name is Zane. He... has a troublesome past, yes.. This one does not know if he will speak to you. He has trust issues.." She hummed, trailing off at the end. "He... likes to read, yes! Helpful books on skills, like fighting, or interesting books on stories! His favorite foods are cupcakes and venison, if you can find them."

"That's information I'll remember." He nodded, before going back on his journey.

Arriving in Phoenix Drop, Gene grinned at some children who were playing nearby. It smelled of freshly baked breads and sweets, with the cooked meats and cheerful atmosphere. He liked the combination of a lyre, flute, and drum that the local bards played, as it was much more skilled than anything else he had heard. Apart from the music in O'khasis. Nothing was better than what was in O'khasis.

He headed for the inn, which was where nearly all rumors and trails of gossip went. It was like a market, but for blackmail and information. Not the library kind of information, but still information. The innkeeper would be able to help get information on the Zane the Meif'wa cared so much for.