xiv. IT'S BETTER KNOWING

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

IT'S BETTER KNOWING

          ALISTAIR HELD HER WITH A FIRM GRIP. It was the first time he touched her like this, not when he threatened a week before, but almost like a loving step-father in the face of the public for all to see. He had her shoulder in his grasp, and his eyes looked so intently into hers with a secret message (one word and I will end you) and she swallowed dryly, minutely nodding her head before turning to the other members in her family – or "family".

It was almost a loving scene, them gathered together on the platform waiting to board the Hogwarts Express. Two parents, two children, and the father holding one child closely with a relaxed yet firm expression on his face. It was almost lovely, almost everything Morgan had ever wanted for her aunt, but it was also the complete opposite of how it looked.

But her shoulder was starting to ache under his touch, and only recently did her throat stop swelling, and the calm look on his face was only a façade. None of this was real, and although Greer had the same stoic exterior as her father, Morgan could see a small bit of panic in her eyes.

Helen, though, looked completely and blissfully relaxed. Unaware of the looks thrown around between the three, unassuming to the knowledge that Morgan knew to be true, enjoying her life and believing that they were a loving family, her niece beginning to accept her new husband. Morgan wanted to play along for her sake, but she wanted to scream and shout the truth on the other hand, yet she couldn't do that.

She was trapped under his touch, under his gaze, under his threat and she was completely and utterly powerless to him. He held all the cards in his hand, and she was just another pawn who would be destroyed if she stepped out of line. There was nothing she could do except smile and bear it, play the part of a loving step-daughter who willingly allowed him to be close to her.

"Have a great rest of your year," Helen smiled, looking between the two girls before pulling Greer into a hug, "Oh, I'm going to miss having you two around the house all day!"

For a moment, when Helen wrapped Greer into the embrace, the Ainsley girl froze. Stilling for a moment because Alistair never touched anyone unless it was to display power, as he was doing now, unlike Helen who gave away hugs to anyone as if they were nothing. To her, they were just a mean of affection and appreciation, not a cruel power play.

"I'll miss you, too," Greer said back, and Morgan almost wanted to scoff, but she knew she had to keep quiet so she bit her lip.

Helen then moved towards Morgan so the grip on her shoulder released and she was brought into a hug. Practically collapsing into it, Morgan held her aunt close. As ready as she was to return to Hogwarts and leave Alistair Ainsley behind, she would miss her aunt so much. The light of her life, the one who saved and raised her.