xxvii. DREAM A LITTLE DREAM

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM

SAY "NIGHT-IE" NIGHT AND KISS ME

As a child, when nightmares scared away her sleep, little Morgan Lee would find herself in her mother's arms, comforted by a warmth embrace, soothing fingers through her hair, and a melodious voice singing her such a soft lullaby. Eventually, the tension would uncoil and she would find herself lulled away, the nightmares fading until her mind relaxed enough to sleep again.

Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me

It played softly now on her record player. The same soft tune of her mother, but the comfort was gone. She wasn't a little girl anymore, her mother wasn't comforting her - her mother wasn't even alive anymore. No, there was just Morgan Lee, who outed Alistair Ainsley as a Death Eater, who got her aunt to safety, on her bed at Hogwarts with tears brimming in her eyes.

She wished she could turn back the clock. Not to last week, no, but to years ago when she still had her parents. Aunt Helen was a dream; she went above and beyond to raise her, but she missed her parents terribly. She missed Sunday mornings holding her mother's hand as they walked to church and then to the farmer's market, she missed her father swinging her around and pushing her on the slide. She missed being with them, holding her tight, loving her endlessly.

Morgan hadn't thought much about a legacy. With her parents, she was their legacy. She remained when they were gone, and she continued living, Aunt Helen there to guide her into her teenage years, wishing that she would grow up and be successful. She was their legacy, and she was supposed to live long and make them proud.

When I'm alone and blue as can be

She didn't have children, or a name that would be remembered. She wasn't notorious, she wasn't a bigshot; she was seventeen and still at Hogwarts. Her legacy? She had her friends, they would live long, longer than her, and there was her aunt, and there was Remus.

Sweet Remus. Sweet, sweet Remus.

He deserved someone so much better than her. Someone who wasn't too ambitious for their own good, someone who loved him unconditionally and told him. Someone who wasn't her.

Dream a little dream of me

No one wanted to be forgotten, and for a long time she wished for her name to be known to the world. Morgan Lee was going to be the greatest potion master to ever live. She was going to create new potions, change the world, help better. And they would remember her. Forever and ever.