Chapter 3 - The Battle

Cinderpelt was shaken. Why does everything always happen to me? And what is this cat's problem? He's a rogue....right?   Instinctively, she called out to the first cat who's name came to mind. "Fireheart! Help!"

To her horror, Fireheart was tussling with a dark ginger tom, and was in no place to help her.  "Uh...Graystripe? Tigerclaw? Help?"

Unfortunately, Graystipe was tussling with another black and white tom, and so was Tigerclaw. The three black and white toms had different patterns on their pelts, but they were hard to distinguish at the moment. Thinking back to her apprenticeship, Cinderpelt decided to use the oldest trick she knew. She instantly went limp. The cat slowly backed off, but alarm swept through her as she realized that the tom had raised a claw to deal a deathly blow to her neck. Thinking fast, she slipped from beneath him, and in seconds she was on his back.

But the tom acted quickly, keeping Cinderpelt from winning the fight. He rolled onto his back, crushing her with his muscular body. Cinderpelt clawed her way out from under him, and shot away towards Fireheart and the tom he was fighting. She leaped on the dark ginger tom's back, hissing and clawing. Thankfully, he soon let go of Fireheart, only to turn on Cinderpelt. StarClan, help me!

Unsure of what else to do, Cinderpelt sprinted into the trees. However, the tom followed her and leaped on her, baring his teeth. "What kind of a trespasser do we have here?"

Just then the black and white tom appeared as well, snarling. "A weak, cowardly trespasser, that's what." He spat out the words like they were crowfood. The ginger tom let go, nodding to the muscular black and white tom. Cinderpelt turned to run, but the larger tom was instantly upon her. He raised a claw for a killer blow.

"STOP!!" The huge black and white tom froze, thorn sharp claws still extended in the air above Cinderpelt's exposed belly. He turned, then leaped off Cinderpelt and ran back to the space the others were in, followed by the dark ginger tom.

Curiously, Cinderpelt followed. The cat who had stopped everything was a tiny black tom hardly bigger than a kit. If she had to guess, he was only the age of an apprentice. "What's going on?" she asked, confusion and fear clouding her gaze.

Meanwhile, Fireheart was digging his claws deep into the ground. "Where is she?!"

Tigerclaw  sneered at the small black tom. "What does a kit like you think he's doing, interrupting an important fight?"

The small black tom snarled. "This kit is their leader." He turned to the others. "Kill him."