Motion 20: Who Knows Best

Gray's POV

Zeref took us to his temporary office and gestured for us to sit while he makes tea. I sat on the armrest of his sofa while Hibiki sat across. We lost our eye contact and even I can feel he's on the edge. Now that I think about it, Zeref feels a lit bit-- Okay, maybe a lot-- intimidating. It's clear as day that his aura is saying No, is not an answer.

He set a steaming cup of violet liquid in front of me. "It may not be as good as your sister's, but I hope that pass," he sheepishly says.

I just shrugged. "At least you're not obsess over it. Lucky I don't have to wait 30 minutes for it."

"That's true," he chuckles and sat on the last vacant sit.

Thankfully, he's not on his desk or else I might just flee out of the room. He's not exactly looking... approachable, right now. It's more like he's keeping his cool and trying to be understanding of the situation despite his impatience. To his credit, Hibiki offered his thanks just as calmly yet his hands were shaking.

"We never really had the time to interact, sorry for that," Zeref said, eyes softening.

Well, that was also true. As I've said, Zeref never left his brother's side since (of course, with the exception other needs). Hibiki didn't have the privilege to meet this man. Lucky him... Uh... ahem... don't tell tell them I said that. Anyway, Zeref's separation anxiety towards Natsu seemed to be surfacing now and as of this moment, I have a feeling that this conversation is not just about Natsu's days with Hibiki.

"No, it's not your priority right now. It's understandable," Hibiki replies.

Whoops. Wrong answer, man.

Zeref's eyebrows twitched and his smile turned gleeful. Almost too gleeful. Didn't I just say that he shouldn't put words in the people's mouth? If I didn't know any better, Zeref won't probably mind. Unfortunately, I knew better. He's Natsu's brother; they used to stay under the same roof and grow up together, even for a short period of time. But they have the same parent, the same blood, same flesh, and same environment. They are siblings, something binds them together. And I know Zeref hates, just as much as Natsu does, when other people decide for him.

"You think?" He chuckles, but the message was there. "I'm Zeref Dragneel, my name says it all and a teacher in Fiore Academy in case my job here is confusing you."

Hibiki shakes his head and took a sip of his tea. "Hibiki Lates, I'm a disciple of Sir Ichiya," he takes a deep breath and locked his gaze on Zeref's. "I was Natsu's former roommate in Golden Gates. He doesn't mention you much, but I suppose he was fond of you, if his stories were anything to go by."

"Ah. I seldom assume that kind of feeling from him. All those years of my travels have left him... independent, if there's a better word for it," he smiles sadly. I feel like I'm intruding here. "Natsu may forgive me, but I know I did a damage... and for that, I apologize to you for putting up with him."

Hibiki coughs and sets his cup back to the table. "You make it sound like it was burden--"

"Was it not?" I interrupt.

He frowned at me whilst Zeref glanced at me; assessing my response and trying to contemplate if what I said was right or wrong. I wasn't being rude or anything. I was really curious, and okay-- maybe a bit offended by his bravado. I don't do sugarcoated words, Zeref knows that. I don't lie but I do keep secrets. If I hear Hibiki saying he wasn't bothered by it, then I know he was trying to please Natsu's brother. He wouldn't be this desperate if Natsu didn't weigh on him, and that's what I found infuriating.

"Look, Natsu was, by all means, not a bother to me. We had our moments, but he never went out on anyone's way," by now, I know Hibiki was losing his patience and honestly, Zeref took amusement to it. "He never degrade anyone and he also doesn't give problems to others. Except for the constant fights and challenges, but those were harmless. Natsu never compare his problems to others, and he tells me when he's ready. We had a good relationship."