Chapter 3

Finding successful information about Raven was most likely the biggest failure I had ever encountered. There was nothing, nada, ziltch on him- not a single trace of his existence remained in any govern files.

My team of expertise in HQ failed miserably upon identifying the individual at the scene of the crime. Moreover his presence was completely invisible on our security footage from the cameras. 

I had a forensic artist draw a portrait of him from my memory, it was the best I could do to remember the features that were close up in my face.

Disappointingly, at that time it was dark and now I was hesitant to whether what I saw was actually correct.

But he had been right, I was looking for him just not then and thanks to his warning I also knew my so-called boyfriend slash drug lord was on his way to confront me. 

"Everyone ready in their positions?" I asked through my wireless headphones talking to my backup. I had devised out a plan, I was going to arrest this guy because frantically I was tired of pretending. I had built the emotion of hate over the days of my time with him.

I had enough evidence, no matter how powerful he was in the political sense the media would find more evidence to dehumanise him like he deserved. The media was very manipulative, a few dollars in their pockets and they were very biased.

I heard 'hums' of acknowledgement as I stood in my uniform waiting for Billy Thompson-the infamous drug lord- to arrive . I adjusted my badges on my blazer as I glanced at the guards hiding with guns.

"Let's hope you were right Raven," I whisper to myself, "Or else I will personally dig your grave for you,"

A threat to no one in particular calmed my nerves. The doors open as I breathed out heavily. Time for action.

"Billy Thompson, you are being arrested for supplying and producing illegal drugs and abusing the use of your power in the common. You will put on trial for illegal trafficking, creating a mafia and the production of drugs " My professional voice projects in the hall bouncing off the wall indicating to those hidden to come out.

I stand firm to watch men storm to Billy, handcuffing him as he tries to protest. I smile as he watches me in disgust.

"How could you, you bitch? I gave you EVERYTHING!" He spits near my feet, a look of hate on his face.

"You gave me misery," Is all I reply before I turn around.

I think about his bitter personality and I celebrate victory in my mind. I knew even though his Father was dead probably rotting in hell, I had just added more to his afterlife pain. Now, because of him his son was suffering. 

And that's what he probably deserved for murdering my Father.

"I will go sue you for this, you can't do this! LET ME GO!" I hear his desperate voice, ignoring his curses.

I look at the head officer, "Arrest all his men on sight," I was going to have a can of beer tonight and bring out my other persona who'd been hiding for so long. This called for a celebration, for sure.

"Already on it ma'am," He salutes as I give a nod of satisfaction.

"Mission accomplished, Detective" I hear in my wireless earphones, I smile in triumph. I feel free of some sorts, no more being in a forced relationship. The weight on my shoulder has truly been lifted. I have saved many and avenged lives.

"Dean, give me an update on the CCTV footage on yesterday's accident," I order, cutting off my connection with him for the meanwhile, my mind still on a certain someone.

My heels click on the floor as I walk to my boss. "Yet again, an astounding job Evangeline. You truly are the best female we've ever had," He congratulates me, shaking my hand. He's my Uncle, a Father figure of sorts.

I chuckle, "Don't sugar-coat me Uncle," His praises mean a lot, but he knows praising me is like praising himself. I am who I am because of him.

"Did you really bed him?" He glances toward the drug lord in disgust. 

"No!" I defended, pouting. "We used prosthetics on a willing actress to make her look and sound like me using an voice amplifier. Plus it was always in the dark. I always slipped onto the balcony whenever it happened and her sex drive was exhausting. The poor guy became so wasted he passed out everytime."

It was simple to be fair. She satisfied him and I got the pleasure of enjoying the view - of the night sky that is. I would never sleep with a man I didn't love. Nor be a witness to it. Weird.  

He gives me a side hug as we exit the building with security following behind us, I put on my shades as we enter the scorching sun. "Your Father would have been proud,"

"I know," I reply. 

Rest up there in peace, my old man.

"Is it true, what I hear?" He asks as we enter the SUV, I nod at the guard who kindly opens the door for me.

"Hear what, Uncle?"

"You've found him" He makes quotation marks with his fingers making me laugh under my breath. I get the skanky eye from Uncle as I hide my smile.

"I think I may have," I reply honestly, "Yesterday at the accident, I saw him lurking in a dark corner. It seemed like he didn't expect me to see him which was unusual at first but a lot of the things he's said have come true. I'm just waiting on the CCTV footage,"

Uncle nodded, looking out of the window in thought.

"Your Mother was the last person to ever see him," Uncle told me, "I wonder if he'd know anything about her disappearance,"

"Maybe," I commented, not really sure where to lead the conversation to. "I'm set on finding him again Uncle, if only I had some lead,"

"He's very calculative from what I've heard, he must have left something behind for you,"

I take my shades off, turning away from my Uncle I watch the cars pass by. It wouldn't be surprising if he did just that to test me. He wanted to see me again, I could feel it. The pull between us, it was unnatural. He must have felt it too.  

"Only time will tell," I mutter into the comfortable silence. 

🖤 ~ Vote & Comment ~ 🖤