Chapter 1

It was late, later that he was usually out. He just wanted to get home and the city was cold and eerily quiet. There was no music in the streets, no voices, only the whirring of cars. He wrapped his thin coat around himself tighter, trying to keep out the chill of outside.

He turned the corners, getting closer and closer to his apartment building. He turned into the alley and stepped over heaps of trash. A large black and silver lump caught his eye. He turned his head to look at the figure, slumped against the peeling brick wall. It was a man. His eyes were closed and he was curled up in a ball with his knees to his chest. He stepped closer, assessing the form in front of him. He was homeless, judging by his unruly hair and grungy black coat. The man bent over to examine the poor soul in front of him. He wanted to help.

He leaned closer, trying to get a glimpse of the sleeping person's face. The hair was pushed across his face and when he breathed, it fluttered lightly. He was usually cautious of bums, but he'd always wanted to help them. When he saw them, he couldn't help but remember how he used to live. He felt vaguely familiar with this man. Something about the way he was sitting was too similar to someone he once knew.

He had a sudden urge to push the hair back and confirm his suspicions. He moved one trembling hand closer and shakily pushed the hair back piece by piece. The stubbly face began to take form.

He gasped, and stood very still as he realized who he'd just seen.

"Bucky?" He asked with tears beginning to fill his eyes.

He'd spoken involuntarily, and quite loud, not realizing the possibility of his old friend waking up. The soldier's eyes snapped open, and before he knew it, the man was pinned to the wall with a metal hand, crushing his windpipe. His blue eyes were cold and unforgiving, like the winter for which he was named.

Softness came across his face and recognition crossed his glare.

"Steve?" He said, his eyes expanding.

"Bucky?" Steve managed to choke out.

Bucky released Steve from the wall and Steve fell on all fours, breathing heavily. Bucky leaned over to look at Steve, making sure he hadn't hurt him.

"Steve, why are you here?" Bucky asked, panicking.

"I was... I was just trying... to get home... and... I found you... sleeping." Steve said in between heaving breaths.

"Steve, we gotta get you home." He said, pain crossing his face.

He hadn't wanted Steve to see him like this. He hadn't wanted to see Steve at all, in fact. He'd been watching from afar, making sure that Steve was safe. It was the least he could do. Steve wasn't even supposed to know he was alive. Now that he'd been found, he wasn't sure what to do. Even worse, he'd tried to kill Steve.

Steve reached his arm out for Bucky's hand, using it to pull himself up. Bucky wrapped Steve's arm around his neck and helped him stumble away. Steve tripped and fell, breathing heavily. There was some clear damage done, and it made Bucky nervous. He pulled Steve up and into his arms, cradling him like a baby. Steve was too tired and unwell to protest. He didnt even stop to wonder how Bucky knew where he lived. Bucky carried Steve to his doorstep and set him down carefully. Stve had fallen asleep, and Bucky couldn't tell whether he was unconcious or not. He was honestly and truly scared. He'd failed to keep the only thing that was important in this new world safe, and now he was worried that Steve might have sustained serious injuries.

Bucky pulled the key out of Steve's pocket and brought him inside. He layed Steve down on the bed, and after making sure he was tucked in properly, passed out on the couch.