Chapter 1

DISCLAIMER: We do not own The Lunar Chronicles and the lovely characters. All rights to Marissa Meyer.

Cinder

Cinder was bored out of her mind.

Currently, she was sitting in the living room with Adri, Pearl, and Peony gathered around the glass table. They were chatting loudly, and Cinder wasn't quite sure why she was here to begin with.

"I've picked up the forms," Adri said excitedly, waving the vanilla envelopes around in the air. Pearl and Peony squealed loudly and took it in their hands. Pearl snatched up the paper immediately. Peony smelled the crisp, cream-colored envelope and breathed deeply, letting out a sigh of content.

"The Selection," Pearl and Peony breathed in unison.

Adri nodded. She clapped her hands together, brisk manner back. "Right. Chop chop, dears. Fill out the forms."

That was the first time that Adri seemed to notice that Cinder was sitting there. She glared over at her, lifting up her bizaare, green colored dress. She made her way towards Cinder gracefully.

"Cinder," she said with clear distaste. "Why don't you... go out to the market to get something for us?" The real message was clear. We don't want you here. Cinder pursed her lips, trying to keep her anger in check.

"But... I want to witness the Selection," she mumbled quietly. Adri cocked her head towards her.

"You have no place here," Adri snapped with a razor sharp tone. Cinder winced away from the unpleasant noise. She leaned forward until she was eye to eye with the maid. "Don't you dare think, even for a second, that you will ever be in the Selection," she hissed.

Cinder felt a boiling rage rise up inside of her, roiling in her stomach and making her fists clench. If she didn't walk out now, she was sure her hand would end up slapping Adri's face. So she stood up abruptly, head lowered. Grabbing the basket from the nearby table, she growled, "Right. I'll be going now."

She stomped past Adri, who had a feline smile plastered on her face. When Cinder walked out the door, she was able to catch an apologetic glance from Peony. She offered a small smile and shook her head. Closing the door, she made her way down the sidewalk.

Finding the market was easy. It was filled with people bustling around, busy trying to buy things and sell things. It also helped that Cinder worked there. As she walked towards the fruit section, she spotted her mechanic stand, squished in between two obnoxious clothing shops. The curtain was pulled down over the window.

In addition to the people here to buy products, there were also the people who were here to watch the Selection on television. Most of them didn't have one handy at home, so they flocked to different stores to watch it.

It stung for Cinder to see it. She couldn't even sign up, for goodness sake. Another burst of anger made its way to her chest. She stifled it, taking deep breaths.

Stopping in front of a fruit stand, Cinder set down the basket and picked up different apples, searching for bruises and discoloration.

Suddenly, she felt a nudge from her right shoulder. Glancing over, uninterested, her eyes brushed over a familiar golden badge. She did a double take, eyes wide and settled on the badge that signified the court of the kingdom of Commonwealth. Slowly, she looked up until she saw his face.

It was a court official with kind, gray eyes and a bright smile, wrinkles crinkling up around his eyes.

"Young lady, would you like to join the Selection?" he asked. His gloved hands held dozens of the familiar envelopes. Cinder shook her head immediately, hands up and waving back and forth.