September 16, 2014

September 16, 2014

3:55pm

What is the main difference between a prokaryote and an eukaryote cell?

Stupid biology test. I should know this by now, Isak thought tapping his foot anxiously. He looked up taking a look at the clock. 3:56pm. Only four minutes left, damn it. He flipped trough the remaining pages of his exam, realizing there was no way he could finish it on time. His brain wasn't cooperating right now. He just couldn't concentrate. He was way too excited for tonight. Tonight was the biggest school event of the year. Probably the biggest school event of his whole life if you ask him.

Giving up on trying to finish his exam, he handed it in and got out of the classroom. Walking up to his locker, Isak could only think of the amazing night ahead of him. Tonight, him and all the others kids in his grade get to spend the night in school, playing games, watching movies and staying up all night. Weird event you may think, but to him it was the coolest thing ever. He heard older students talk about it and they all said they made unforgettable memories during that night. Plus, because they would spend extra hours in school, all his classes were canceled tomorrow. Talk about a good deal.

After collecting a few things from his locker, Isak was walking to the back of the school yard where Jonas was waiting for him as he felt his phone buzz in his pocket. Taking a look at the screen he rolled his eyes. Of course, it was a text from his mother about some Bible thing he couldn't be bothered with.

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them...

Without bothering to read it all, he pocketed his phone, trying to forget about it, but mostly trying to keep a straight face.

''Halla, excited about tonight?'' Jonas greeted him.

''Yeah, tonight's the night.''

The lack of excitement in Isak's voice concerned Jonas. Isak had been talking about this event for months now - to a point where it almost became annoying – how could his mood change so quickly? Jonas knew better than to ask him what was wrong, knowing his best friend wasn't the most talkative person and being fully aware of his situation at home.

''Wanna come hang out at my place before we come back here?'' he asked instead.

Isak nodded in agreement. The younger boy seemed please that Jonas did not point out his bad mood. He was glad his best friend could read him so well.

6pm

After packing a few snacks and extra clothes for the both of them, Jonas said a quick goodbye to his mom and sibling before following Isak outside. As the minutes passed by, the boys got more and more excited about THE night they all had been planning for so long.

The bus ride to school seemed to last an eternity, Isak couldn't stand it anymore. The wait was too long, he only wanted to spend the night in school (weird kid huh).

As they arrived on the school property, they saw other teens as excited as they were to get in. Isak couldn't think of another moment in his life where he saw teens this pumped to get inside the school after school hours were over.

Finally, a teacher opened the doors.

''Hi everyone! Welcome to the night you all have been waiting for: The Night in School. Before I let you in, here are some quick rules: when you get inside the school go put your things away in your locker, we are gonna set the sleeping arrangements later in the evening.''