Chapter Two

Inaaya's heart was thudding. She didn't know whether it was because she was being abducted or because of the alluring man sitting right next to her. Her second plan of escape was put into action the moment it was devised. However, things had gone south too fast, too easily.

She squirmed in the uncomfortable middle seat of the third row of the Escalade. Had she not tried to jump out the moving vehicle, she would still be seated in the comfortable window seat and Axel would still be driving it. And she sure as hell wouldn't have been sporting several tears and bruises on her arms and legs.

Her impulse of jumping out the moving car could be seen as stupid by some but for her, it was her last opportunity. Now, a fruitless one. She had hardly gathered her bearings and ran a few meters when Axel was already chasing after her. Some of his companions had exited their vehicles, only to watch though. Apparently, they knew Axel could handle it all by himself. And he did. Axel had her pinned down in no time.

So, instead of gaining her freedom, she got thrown in the back row to be stuck sitting between a fuming Axel and an apathetic Vanessa. Inaaya sighed, feeling Axel's eyes on her still as she fiddled with a thread on her now ripped white jeans. She could see smears of red around the tears where some of her wounds were still bleeding.

Axel's first reaction upon catching her was to rant and rave, immediately followed by fussing over her battered state. No matter how much he'd pressed, she had stubbornly not allowed him or anyone else to tend to her wounds. At last, Axel had resorted to staring at her for the rest of the drive as if she might click her fingers and poof into the air at her own will. If only.

"What?" Inaaya snapped eventually, giving Axel a withering glare. She had tried to ignore his staring, to divert her attention hoping he would stop. But the man just couldn't take a hint. And god, was it disconcerting.

Axel cocked a brow at her, meeting her infuriated chestnut eyes with his determined grey ones. Inaaya couldn't help but let her eyes wander. It was the first time she was seeing him. Really seeing him.

Her eyes chose a route from his narrow forehead to his stubbled chin, making pit stops at his thick eyebrows, high cheekbones, angled nose and thin lips. They then went back to his piercing light grey eyes. His naturally tanned skin was flawless though she guessed it would feel more rugged than it looked. His shiny black hair sat atop his head in an effortlessly messy manner and was long enough that they grazed at his nape. The dark grey suit jacket he wore over his white shirt paired with his fitted dark wash jeans complimented his looks to no end. They promised of an even more fetching present under all the wrappings.

Inaaya's cheeks hued pink at the realisation that she was blatantly checking him out, knowing well his eyes were on her the entire time. But it was a strange pull she couldn't fight. Axel seemed to be enjoying the attention she gave him immensely. He reciprocated by letting his own eyes meander the length of her body.

Along with embarrassment, Inaaya now felt her insecurities rushing to the surface as she too followed his eyes. Her curvy figure was covered with soiled pastel green shirt and white tattered jeans, and of course, those damning injuries. Patches of dirt and stains of blood were scattered along her outfit. Her brown hair, naturally wavy, must have looked nothing short of a bird's nest. Though, when she looked back into Axel's eyes, it felt as if he was looking at none other than Helen of Troy herself.

Axel met her stare with a softness in his eyes and a half smile on his lips. The moment seemed to stretch on and on but neither could break the eye contact.

"Beta."

Inaaya bit her lower lip as Axel leaned closer, entwining his fingers around hers.

"Beta!"