Chapter Four

Inaaya woke up with a heavy head. She grunted lowly, keeping her eyes closed and allowing her brain to catch her up with everything that had happened in the last few hours. Her memories were a hazy montage of meeting Axel in a train, jumping out of a moving car, walking through an elegant fortress and then watching him turn into a wolf. He'd turned into a fucking wolf. As much as Inaaya wanted to believe it had been a dream or some sort of a visual trick, deep inside she knew it wasn't.

Releasing a breath, Inaaya let her eyes blink open. The first sight she was met with was of a very muscular and neatly sculpted chest. "Woah," a shocked whisper escaped her parted lips as her eyes darted to the man's face. Axel. With her heart beating in her throat, her eyes moved down to her own body. Still decked in her tattered clothes. That was bound to be a good sign. She was swathed in a soft blanket and her legs were tangled with another jeaned pair.

A blurred recollection of Axel shifting back to a very naked human entered her mind, inviting along thoughts she never believed herself capable of. She blushed at the direction her thoughts were taking, which only deepened as she noticed the intimacy of their position. Her torso was half on top of his as her hand lazily rested on his shoulder while his arm was wrapped around her in a tight embrace.

Biting her lip, she pulled back enough to look at his face. His eyes were closed, his breathing was deep and no creases marred his forehead. She found herself admiring his chiselled face. Realising the implications of her actions, she began to pull away from him. Suddenly, Axel's other arm that rested underneath his head came to wrap firmly around her torso too, pulling her back into his chest. He nuzzled his face in her hair and to her surprise, she didn't resist. Rather, she rested her face on his chest again and closed her eyes.

It had been such a weird day. So much had happened in such a short while. This man, enwrapped around her, should have caused fear in her heart, should have made her want to run far away. Yet, his closeness was all she wanted to hold on to.

Inaaya suddenly remembered waking up across from him in the train earlier that day. Her eyes widened comically and her hand reached the corners of her mouth. A light laugh reverberated through Axel's chest, causing Inaaya to feel the vibrations. "Don't worry, you're not drooling. Yet," he said, peering down at her with amusement in his eyes.

Inaaya gasped in surprise, leaning back to look at him. "You're awake!" she accused, pushing at his chest to move away from him. This time, he let his arms fall to his sides, allowing her to scurry to the edge of the bed, her mouth gaping but eyes narrowed.

Axel copied her position, moving to lay on his side as he stared at her. "You don't say," he said, chuckling and affectionately flicking her nose. She felt sparks ignite on her skin where he'd touched her. Her brows furrowed as she touched her nose, bewildered by the tingling feeling.

Inaaya attempted to get off the bed but Axel was quick to stop her. "Stay! I'll get off." Inaaya's eyes followed him as he got off the bed. She sat up with her back resting against the headboard as Axel poured her a glass of water on his bedside table, smiling softly.

With a frown still etched on her face, she accepted the glass, taking a long sip from it. She didn't know what to make of his attentiveness but she sure was grateful for how the water relieved her parched throat and helped pacify her empty stomach. She hadn't eaten in a while now.

"I... I don't know what to make of you, of all of this," she said slowly, placing the glass back on the bedside table before dabbing at her mouth with her fingers. She glanced up at him, however, her eyes kept drifting down to his bare torso. So, she chose to let them roam around the room instead. "Is this your room?"

"It is." Axel raised a brow, patiently waiting for her eyes to meet his again. But Inaaya's were busy taking in the black and white interiors of his room. The walls, painted black and white alternatively, were bare of any pictures or posters. A set of sliding double doors stood next to a white twin sleeper sofa to the left of the bed. Inaaya heard an exhale followed by the slight whoosh of air as Axel sat down on the sofa. She could feel his eyes on her but she wasn't ready to meet them quite yet.