16 ; an orphan before birth

There is nothing but pain in Eden's chest. 

She is laying on her bed, chest upwards towards the ceiling. Her red hair is fanned out on the pillow underneath her head, like a flick of flames on a white canvas. Her emerald eyes stare blankly, lashes fluttering as she waits for Constance to return.

The stairs leading her room creak, announcing Constance's upcoming arrival. After a few moments Constance O'Malley enters the room, a glass of water in her hand alongside a vile of something a bright fuchsia color.  It's a small vile, and Eden has been drinking nothing but it and water for a past week. 

Constance places the glass on the counter, using one arm to gently guide Eden into a sitting position. Eden's muscles quiver, completely unable to hold her weight without someone else assisting in the process. 

Once Eden is upward, Constance grabs the vile with both hands. Slowly, she works the cork from the top of the vile, making it let out a faint 'pop'. Instantly, the smell of lavender enters the room, but Eden knows better than to be fooled by the smell into thinking it tastes anything but putrid.

"Drink," Constance encourages, pressing the edge of the vile to Eden's lips. Constance then places her hand onto the back of Eden's head, gripping faintly before tipping Eden's head backwards in order for the vile's contents to enter her throat. 

It burns as Eden swallows, leaving a scalding trail down until it's in her stomach. Even there, Eden can feel it bubbling within her, an unsettling side-effect that's worth it's otherwise transcendent healing properties. 

Constance helps Eden take a gulp of the water at her bedside before helping her lay back down. Eden is silent through the entire process, not knowing what to say to Constance that won't further run a wall in between them. 

Throughout her entire life, Eden had considered her Constance a lot of things: Loving, intelligent, hard-headed, brutally honest, a bit of a cheapskate, and a fondly nicknamed 'old lady' by her and Fern - but a liar  had never been one of them.

It had taken some days of thought for Eden to come to this conclusion about Constance. A collection of clues that had led to one question: Am I really your daughter? 

Eden remembers how Constance's mouth had tighten painfully at the question, almost as if she had thought about lying before she had shaken her head. Tears gathering in her irises as she stared at Eden's crumpling face, bloody and pale from the excursion at the church.

No. The woman who Eden thought was her mother for the last eighteen years wasn't.

It hurt worse than the vargulf's teeth digging into Eden's arm, or having to watch Peter's face get torn from his body. A kind of pain that couldn't be healed with antibiotics or magic remedies that brought boys back to life.

A pain from betrayal would never really scab over - could never be entirely forgiven no matter how much time passed.

Constance had spent hours at her bedside that night. Telling her the story of her conception and how Eden had never met her parents before their demise. A orphan even before birth.

It happened the way most love stories do.

With a young girl who fell for someone she shouldn't have. A reclusive nobody who had met the green eyes of a boy in high school after a calculated smile had been sent in her direction.

The girl was swept up in his lies, overlooking the signs she had been taught to avoid since birth. She was just happy that someone paid attention to her, that she had found someone who didn't care about a family like hers.