7. Sparkles

P.T. stands beside the doorway of his and Charity's bedroom, eavesdropping. Charity and the girls are inside, getting ready for Caroline's show tonight. P.T. had briefly thought about joining them, but then decided to stay out here and listen in instead. A small smile turns up the corners of his mouth.

"There was a time that I used to not wear make-up, you know," Charity is saying. Helen and Caroline gasp in unison.

"But you were rich, Mommy!" Helen replies, incredulous. P.T. laughs quietly from his hiding place, watching the shadows dance along the hallway carpet.

Charity laughs as well. "Yes, darling, I was, but I didn't always enjoy it. There were many things I didn't particularly enjoy about my upbringing. It's amazing how much money can change people for the worst."

The girls are both quiet for a moment, and P.T. watches Charity's shadow move to grab something from her make-up table. She then says, "I was never a fan of the glitz and glam, or the way my parents would always try to teach me royal customs, or the prima donnas I encountered at finishing school..."

"What's 'finishing school'?" Caroline asks.

"It's for rich girls!" Helen immediately answers, and P.T. can't help but smile at how proud and matter-of-fact she sounds.

Charity's laughing. "Yes, I guess you could say that. My parents forced me to go, because of what I was born into. I didn't like any part of it."

"So, why didn't you wear make-up?" Caroline asks.

"Kind of as a protest, I guess," Charity answers.

"Like the people standing outside of the circus everyday?" Helen says innocuously, and both her sister and her mother immediately shush her. Remembering that they don't know he's standing right outside the room, P.T. takes a few steps back. Listens to Charity's admonishment.

"We don't talk about that, Helen," she says quietly but firmly. "There are many other things we can discuss, but not that. Okay?"

"Okay," Helen responds in a loud whisper, and both she and Caroline begin to giggle.

P.T. watches Charity's shadow lean over her make-up table and rummage through a couple of things. As she straightens, Caroline asks, "What's that?"

"This is what I like to call a woman's best friend," she says dramatically, a smile evident in her tone. "You know how we can see all of the oddities every show, despite the bright lights?" A pause; the girls are probably nodding eagerly. "Well, that's because they never step foot on stage without a little sparkle."

Both girls gasp in wonderment, and then P.T. watches as Charity opens up the container of glitter. He steps forward a few feet to peer inside the room. Helen is eagerly sitting on her heels on the chair beside the make-up table, while Caroline sits in front of the table. P.T. can't see her because Charity is standing in front of her, presumably applying the glitter.

His heart aches with overwhelming amounts of love as he studies Helen's expression: lips parted and eyes wide. It's like she's never seen glitter before, never knew why all of the female oddities sparkled underneath the bright lights. She's so innocent and precious, P.T. is only able to compare her to Charity as a young girl. Mesmerized by the smallest things, and taking it all in with big eyes and an open heart.

As Charity steps back, so does P.T. He resumes watching the shadows, listening to the silence.

Helen suddenly squeals. "Mommy, can I have some can I have some?!" She bounces up and down in her chair, filled with so much excitement her meter is long broken.

Charity laughs, setting the glitter down on the make-up table. "Do you like it, Car?"

"Yeah!" Caroline exclaims, though her voice is softer than her sister's. P.T. imagines her gingerly reaching up to feel the glitter on her cheekbones and her eyelids, in her hair spray-filled hair. "Thank you, Mommy!"

"You're welcome, darling," she says with a smile, then turns to her younger daughter, practically bursting with energy.

"Can I have some?" Helen repeats. "Pleeeeeeeeeease?"

At this point, Charity can't help but cave in. "Alright, alright," she says playfully, opening up one of the drawers to find another color. "I suppose every princess deserves a little sparkle, doesn't she?"