The Bravest Girl on the Island

don't judge...I was super bored and didn't know what to do with myself. crissy out

The cold metal necklaced tinged her dark skin; giving her skin a sparkly iron sheen, with the occasional sparkle of diamonds. The necklace was beautiful, many dreamed of having it, but the truth was, it represented fear. Autumn awoke, placing her hand on the cold pendant, tracing her fingers along the engraved words. She looked up at the dim lighting coming from the lead windows, and stopped for a minute to take in the warmth of the sun. Autumn stood up from her bed and emerged from her house to see her beautiful island. The peach skies that travelled farther than one could imagine, with off white puffs of clouds floating along to compliment the colour of the sky. The crystal blue waters were meeting the white sand beaches with a crash. The sand on her feet was, welcoming, and it was all to normal to see it. This was Autumns home, though it felt like her prison.

Before Autumn could blink she was mobbed by her step mother's workers. They were all talking, and swarming around her, and between the talking and the waves, Autumn could only hear the occasional, "You look beautiful today." and "What a lovely view." It was all too familiar. They were the moths, and Autumn was their flame. Autumn wasn't always famous, but after her father married the queen, she had become the centre of all attention. Autumn pushed through the layers and layers of people and took off towards the centre of town. The cool breeze, slightly sweet from flowing past the cherry blossom trees, made all of the snapdragons and tiger lilies sway rhythmically, as if they were doing a dance. The tan coloured buildings were scattered all around her, their tile roofs shimmering in the sun. Autumn was awoken out of her trance by the sound of crying. The sound was faint, yet it sounded like an orchestra to Autumn.

She took off again, when she saw the red brick bridge that welcomed everyone to yet another white sand beach. In one of the small holes that was tunneled through by an assortment of rodents, was being occupied by a small child. As Autumn approached, the boy looked up, revealing his tan skin and dark hair, and fled. Autumn took a minute to figure out why, and when she did, she was too scared to move. Her stepmother was standing before her. The queen of the island, standing close enough that she could whisper into Autumn's ear. "Hells dear." The queen remarked with a grin. Autumn felt a bead of sweat on her brow. She swallowed hard, and found the words to reply. "Hello, stepmother." The queen hesitated, as if she were to reply, but turned away, continuing her forced grin. Autumn relaxed her muscles and let out a deep sigh. She is going to kill me Autumn though I'm a threat to her throne. That was a statement that had been debated for years. Nobody knew how vain the queen was, except Autumn. Autumn knew that she drowned herself in vanity, and that being queen was everything to her. Before Autumn's father married the queen, she was well known among the people, showing the children how to plant flowers and representing her fellow people of the island with her father, but things have changed since. Her father was killed at sea, his ship never seen again, and since then Autumn never had a chance to leave. I have to leave, Autumn thought. Before she kills me, so she can remain queen.

Autumn walked across the dried patches of grass, and past the forest of palm trees, to the serene beach that stretched on for what seemed like infinity. She looked around, ensuring she was alone, and started grabbing more and more drift wood. She continued searching on her hands and knees, discarding pieces that didn't fit her requirements and made a rather large pile. She continued taking more pieces until she was satisfied, and when she was, she looked like a lumberjack, taking the scarce amount of wood and making what she thought was a raft. Autumn ran to her house, and scoured it for anything she would need, making a checklist in her head. Food, check. Clothes, check. Blankets, check. She was doing it so effortlessly one would think that she had been planning her escape for years. Like a well oiled machine, she came out of her house, arms completely full of miscellaneous items, and headed towards the vessel. She placed all of her belongings down into a wooden made box, and searched for some wood that could be used as ores. When she accomplished her mission, she jumped into the canoe, hands on ores, ready to paddle, she pushed the boat into the water. The first few seconds were exhilarating, Autumn had a glimmer in her eyes, and started to laugh. A laugh of relief. Then, her happiness was interrupted by her canoe, getting submerged in water, and took Autumn along with it. Autumn was plunged in the water, completely shocked as her belongings were scattered beside her, slowly drifting away. Autumn chased after them, like a cheetah on the hunt, and ended up successful for the most part.

Autumn jumped out of the water, breathing heavily with the occasional sniffle, when she heard a shocking sound. It was the sound of a boat's engine. Autumn placed all of her things back into the crate as quickly as she could, and turned around to see a huge boat. She ran to the side of the beach, inspecting the water craft. It was completely metal, shimmering in the sun with the words S.S. Moonlighter, in bright red lettering. There were people dispersed all over the ship, some doing a job, others yelling and cheering. When the front of the boat hit the beach, Autumn spotted a canary yellow inflating boat, tinged green on the bottom from being used. That was her chance. Autumn stayed hidden in the brush and the protection of the plants.

She had her arm around her belongings, and scanned all the people that left the boat. Some taller than others, but they all wore the same white uniforms with navy accents. When the boat looked empty, and the ripples of water around it had ceased, so Autumn slunk out of her hiding place, and quickly ran towards the boat. She looked around, trying to find away to get on when she heard a sudden, "Hey you!" She suddenly took off running towards the men, and jabbed one in the stomach, though, it felt more like she was punching stone. She fled the beach and found a rope that was attached to the boats. When the men were chasing after her, kicking up all the sane possible in the process, Autumn pulled on the rope, and all the lifeboats fell down to the water. She hopped into the nearest one, and just as the men entered the water,

Autumn put down her crate of belongings, and pulled on the very minimal engine. The boat wasn't large or spacious, but it was enough. She continued sailing across the ocean, her home and the boat getting smaller and smaller, when she suddenly flt a feeling she hadn't felt in a long time, safety. Autumn let out a huge sigh of relief, and along with many water droplets splashing on to her leg, she felt her cold, metal necklace on her neck. She took it off, examining the features when she saw the words To Autumn, love your step mother. She took it off her neck and softly whispered, "I no longer live in fear." and through it into the beautiful ocean waves. Autumn let out a sigh of relief, and closed her eyes as she felt a smile creeping across her face. Autumn was never going to be afraid, ever again.