Embers of Sleeping Beauty

The snow had piled up higher than expected, luckily the storm was seemingly coming to an end since the snow had subsided. The two trudged out of the snow into their warm farm house.

They kicked off their boots and dusted frost off their clothes before stripping the layers of clothing and blankets off then piling them beside the entryway. The aroma of freshly baked garlic bread and burning pine wood coated the air. The fireplace was cackling and popping, looking especially inviting.

Grandma Jasmine, scurried into the brick kitchen, opening the oven and carefully extracting the crispy golden loaf. 

"There's leftover turkey in the fridge, I was hoping you'd help me finish it off. It's awfully difficult to cook for one, ya know?"

Olivia smiled to herself, following her grandma into the kitchen in search of the turkey. Without saying a word, she pulled out plates and began cutting the garlic bread into slices.

"I'll make us some tea, you sit down and rest," Olivia announced, ushering her grandma to the living room couch in front of the fire.

Once Olivia finished preparing the food, they ate together in front of the fire and let exhaustion set in. This was their routine. Sit together, eat together, have tea and find some miscellaneous task to work on.

It was quite in the house. They didn't have to say a word to each other. It was comfortable and relaxing. They listened to the fire roar at their feet and a clock ticking behind them. The silence was so apparent that they could hear each other rustle and breath. Olivia offered to pour her grandma another cup of tea, but she had fallen asleep. Sighing, Olivia got up and covered her with a blanket before getting ready to go to bed herself. She turned out the lights and blew out a candle. 

They both preferred sleeping in the living room in the winter since the house was so old that it didn't have any heaters. The warmest place in the house was the closest to the fire. 

----

The following morning, Grandma Jasmine awoke to a loud knock on the front door.  The sound of rain tapping the windows became apparent as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. 

Jasmine stretched out her arms, who on earth could be at the door in this weather?

The banging on the door rang through the house once more, seemingly determined to enter. Olivia remained heavily asleep on the couch beside her, buried beneath blankets. It had to be at least eight or nine in the morning.

Grandma Jasmine grudgingly rolled off the couch and hurried to the door. The knock rang a third time through the house.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" She whispered harshly as she unlocked the bolts of the door.

A rush of cold wind burst into the house, making Olivia turn in her sleep and yank her blanket over her head. A college age boy stood at the front door. His shoulders were soaked, and his shoes were too. His wet hair was neatly cut, a small piece of it stuck to his forehead. Something about seeing him standing out in the rain so recklessly was frustrating.

"I'm assuming that you don't know too much about how weather works, do ya', city boy?"

His eyes widened at her abrupt and harsh comment. His shoulders tensed, and he glanced over his shoulder as if wondering if it were too late to turn back.

"Hurry up and get in here, you're letting the warm air out," she said, letting go of the door then walking to the kitchen.

The boy entered the house, taking off his soaking coat and shoes, "Nice to see you too, Grandma Jasmine".