The Departed Artists

Hello! I just decided to let ya'll know that I'll be updating every other week. For This chapter, since Grandma Jasmine has so much monologue, I decided to italicize and center what wasn't monologue to try and help avoid confusion. Hope that's not too confusing, let me know if it works/doesn't work. 

Also, Music above is just what I was listening to when I was writing. It's pretty chill if you're into that. 

If you have any music recommendations, let me know. lol :) (All 3 of you. bahaha)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Olivia and August's curious eyes try to dissect her as they expectantly wait for her story to be told. Her expression becomes seemingly bashful as she ponders where to start.

"You might not believe me," She begins slowly,

"but there was once a time where fairy tales could exist." Her eyes linger on the two young souls in front of her as she pauses and absorbs their expressions. They had yet to loose that childlike gleam in their eyes that made fairy tales like these so rich and enjoyable, so she pressed on with more confidence. 

"There were once mermaids who enchanted Sailors and Horses with magnificent wings for flying. Stone castles hung the sky among the clouds and enchanting civilizations beneath seas. Places like the Fountain of youth and creatures like fairies and wizards once existed. The world was once quite literally magical."

She paused, letting out a soft chuckle as she reflects on the world today, filled with titanium cars and trains. Cellphones and planes that soared through the sky. The sky was polluted, the children were so independent and lonely. She looked at her grand daughter's already tired face. circles had formed around her eyes, as if life had been living her instead her living life. 

"While what we would call magic was once real, so was the desire to control and harvest it. In this world, great beauty and wonder was met with equal distain and selfishness. In a world like that, where evil and good could strive to unimaginable extremes, there had to be something to keep balance. No one knows how, but all forbidden magic was concealed within twenty jewels, and all history of magic was erased. Things like Genies, mermaids, fairies, dragons had once lived but proof of their existence has been muted for so long that they have been conceived as no longer possible. The owners of the Jewels were separated, each jewel concealing various types of magic deemed to be too dangerous,"

She cleared her throat, Olivia and August glance at each other. August seemed to have heard something like this before, his mind tried to compare and connect what he's heard his parents debate and what Jasmine was explaining. Olivia was wide eyed and excited,

if only it were true, She thought.

Jasmine paused before entering the next part of her story.

"Well...After the Jewels were created, four wielders of the Jewels came together and built four allied kingdoms in a valley besides the sea," She begins to recite.

"Reverie, was the beautiful city hidden in the mountains. It is the keeper of the Peridot stone. This city overlooks the valley of Woodruff and the ancient city of Verbena. They like to keep to themselves usually. They are known for their illusions and tricks. Reverie loves to play games.

"In the valley was Woodruff, the city of the elves and forest creatures. They hold the Ruby stone and the largest Army. They ruled with a mighty fist and wanted power.

"Next there was the city of Verbena by the sea. They pursued Knowledge as Athens did. They have the Amethyst stone of Time shattered and divided among a council. They were filled with the wisest in the kingdom.