Chapter 4

When Jace came home, I'd seen his face. It was so much more than the usual face he put up, like nothing ever hurt him. This time, I could see him hurting. He was hurting because of me, which meant he did have some humanity. He probably thought I was together with Jordan, but Jordan and I were just friends.. Right? After the after party he had brought me home. He had insisted to. I actually wanted to take a cab back to the Institute, but it was alright. Jordan was a werewolf, but I did not mind. Maryse even invited him to stay for dinner. I liked Jordan, he was great. As a friend of course or maybe a little more? I kept thinking about Jace, which I absolutely didn't understand. I felt guilty towards him, but why? I didn't owe him anything.

At dinner all I could do was look at the tention between Jordan and Jace, well you couldn't exactly see it, but I could feel it. I tried to ignore it and just chit chat with Isabelle. There was an awkward silence, during almost the whole dinner. After dinner Jordan was going home. "Are you sure you don't want me to bring you home?" I asked. "I'm sure Clary." he said with a soft smile. Jordan was a lot taller than me, just like everyone else. I looked up into his eyes, his hazel eyes were smiling at me. He really was beautiful, not like Jace. He was the exact opposite of Jace, he had brown hair, dark eyes and a friendly face. Jace had blonde hair and golden eyes and a very arrogant face. "I'll see you around Clary." he said and I nodded. I kissed him softly on his cheeck and I could feel him blush. I smiled, "Bye Jordan."

I walked back to the Institute, were Isabelle came running at me. She was smirking at me. "Clarissa Fray. I saw what you did there." she said. "What?" Iasked. "You kissed Jordan." she stated. "Yeah, on his cheeck. It didn't mean anything." I shot back. "Sure Clary. If you think that, I will think that." she said with a lot sarcasm. I rolled my eyes, "I'll be in my room if you need me." Isabelle nodded as I walked up stairs. For some reason I was really tired and I walked to my room to fall asleep immediately.

It was around 12AM when someone knocked on my door. "Come in." I said, being waked up by the sound. As I was still half asleep I saw that it was Jace standing in the dooropening. "What do you want, Herondale?" I asked with my sleepy voice. "Who said I want something from you?" he smirked. "Well, you did come to my room, but okay. Why are you here?" I asked, getting slightly annoyed because I was losing sleep over some stupid conversation. "I am here, because I've been an asshole towards you lately." he said apologetically. I laughed, "When are you not an asshole towards anyone?" He rolled his eyes, "I'm not always an asshole, you know. I do have feelings." I frowned, "Still got something to experience then. So what are you doing here?" A mysterious smirk appeared on his face, "I want to make it up to you, but it's a surprise, so close your eyes. And no peeking!"

"Can I open my eyes now?" I asked impatiently. "Sure." he said. I opened my eyes and felt looked a bit shocked. "What is this place?" I asked quietly. "This is the greenhouse." I cleared my throat, "Since when do we have a greenhouse in the Institute?" I asked. "Since... Always, I guess." he answered. "Why have I never seen this place before?" I asked. "Don't ask me, ask Izzy why she never showed you this place." he answered. I rolled my eyes at him. "You know why Iz has never taken me here. I'm sure she doesn't likes this place or doesn't even knows it exists at all." I said. There was a long silence, but not the awkward kind. We were just staring at the plants, I could here his breath. He truly was beautiful, his blonde, more golden hair looked soft and luminating in this light. I was the one to break the silence. "Jace, can I ask you something?" I asked quietly. "Yeah, sure." he answered. "Do you really fuck every girl you meet?" I asked. "What.. No! Of course I don't. Who the fuck came up with that stupid idea?!" he snapped at me. "Calm down, it's just the rumors that are going through the hallways of school. I don't know who comes up with that shit!" I exclaimed. "Why are you asking me that anyway? Do you think I fuck every girl I meet?" he asked. I shook my head. "Of course I don't think that. You may be an asshole, but you're not a whore." I answered. He laughed. "What's so funny?" I asked. "You are very good at complimenting people, aren't you? 'You are an asshole, but not a whore!' Well thank you, for being so nice." he said. Then we laughed together.

"I want to show you something." he said as he stood up quickly. "Okay.." I said. "Look over there." he said while pointing his finger at a some flowers. "I don't see anything?" I said frowning. "Be patient little torch." he breathed. Then I heard to clock outside. The flower lit up, just like all the others around us. I was amazed by the flowers. "Midnight flowers." he explained. I smiled. "Thank you Jace, for taking me here." I said. He flashed her a smile. "We should go back, it's getting pretty late." I nodded and he helped me down, which made me fall. Of course this had to happen, when could things be not awkward between us. "I'm sorry!" I said while I was laying on top of him. Quickly she stood up. "It's okay." he said. We walked back to our rooms and as I stood by his door I gave me a small kiss on his cheek. And he smiled a little, and I watched him close the door.