Chapter One

I hung up the phone and started breathing heavy. I took a deep breath and went to the kitchen.

"Hey, Charlie, you okay?" Ian asked upon seeing me. "Yeah," I smiled. "I'm fine," I lied. He gave me a look that said He didn't believe me but, didn't say anything else. I sat next to Brooklyn at the table. He smiled at me. I returned it.

"You okay?" Kyle asked from beside me. I nodded and looked at my phone seeing a text from my dad's number. "I'm gonna go lay down, I'm not feeling well," I lied and got up to walked upstairs. I got to my room and locked the door.

Dad
I'm coming for you, slave

A tear escaped my eye and I laid on the bed and covered myself up. I'm scared. When he says he will make me wish I was never born, he will. When he says he'll find me, he will.

"Charlie?" I heard. I ignored it. "Charlie open the door," I heard Ian after trying to open the door. "Go away," I said loud enough for him to hear me. "Charlie, what's wrong? Open the door," he said and knocked. I was silent. I heard him walk away. I sniffled and hugged my pillow. I heard the door open and I kept my eyes closed and hugged my pillow.

"Charlie?" I felt the bed dip next to me. I just pretended like I was asleep. "Charlie, I know you're not asleep. I know you lied to me downstairs. I know there's something wrong," he said. I slowly opened my eyes. I felt his hand on my arm and rub circles with his thumb on my arm. "Please, talk to me," he said. I slowly looked over my shoulder at him.

"Nothing's wrong, Ian, I'm fine," I mumbled the last part and looked away. "If you won't talk to me. Will you at least talk to him?" He said. I looked at the door and Brooklyn was standing there. "No," I said and looked away. There were two sighs. "Charlie, something's wrong!" Brooklyn said. Suddenly my phone dinged. I went to grab it off the dresser but Ian grabbed it first.

"No!" I said and jumped up. "Give it back!" I shouted and tried to jump for it since he held it above his head. "Charlie, sit down!" Ian said. I started to get mad and shoved him. "Charles Evan Somerhalder!" Ian scolded and grabbed my upper arm.

"Let me go!" I cried. Ian looked at Brooklyn with concern and Brooklyn looked at Ian with confusion. "Charlie, what's wrong?" Ian asked. "He's coming," I said softly as tears fell from my eyes. "Who? Who's coming?" Ian asked. "Dad," I whispered. "Dad? Dad's in jail," Brooklyn said with confusion. "He's out. He's coming for me," I said and tears streamed down my face.

"How do you know?" Ian asked. "He- he texted me," I cried. Ian was confused and looked at my phone. "No!" I cried and tried to take it from him. Brooklyn stepped in and grabbed me while Ian went through my messages. "No! Ian!" I cried and struggled in Brooklyn's grip to get free. "Charlie!" Brooklyn yelled as I elbowed him in the stomach and snatched my phone out of Ian's hands and ran out of my room and to the bathroom.

"Charlie!" Ian pounded the door. "Go away!" I cried. "Open this door or the doors coming down!" He warned. I cried as he counted to three. "Three!" He said and slammed into the door causing me to sob. "Please!" I sobbed as I saw him. "Come here," he said and reached for my arm. I screamed as he got closer and sobbed harder. "Hey! Calm down! You're okay!" He soothed and crouched in front of me from my seated position in the corner of the room.

"We aren't going to let him get you, I'll protect you and Kyle with my life!" He told me. I continued to cry. He softly grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. When he grabbed me I jerked and kicked to get away. "No! Please!" I sobbed. He got me to him, and he held me to his chest and rubbed my back. I didn't stop sobbing.

We were like that for a few minutes before I finally stopped struggling. I stopped kicking and hugged Ian and cried into his chest. He rocked me side to side and rubbed my back.

After about five minutes I stopped sobbing and was just sniffling. "You're okay," Ian whispered in my ear and I started to slowly fall asleep. "I love you so much. I would do anything to protect you," he said. I smiled and snuggled into his chest more and drifted to sleep in his arms, safe.

I woke up a few hours later and it was dark. I was still scared. I sat up and made my way to my door. I opened it and all the lights where off in the house, meaning everyone was asleep. I quietly made my way towards Ian's room. I opened the door, and he was sitting in his bed with his bed side lamp on while grading papers.

"Charlie?" He asked noticing me. I looked down feeling like I was in trouble for some reason. "Are you okay?" He asked. I slowly shook my head, no. "Come here," he said. I looked up, and he was patting the empty spot next to him. I closed his door and went to the spot. I got under the covers and laid down facing him. He looked over at me and smiled at me and ran his hand through my hair.

"What's wrong?" He asked. "I'm scared," I said softly. "You don't need to be scared. I'm here," he said and rubbed his thumb on my cheek.

"Get some sleep," he said. I nodded and snuggled into the blankets and tried to fall asleep. I opened my eyes after about ten minutes of trying to fall asleep and failing. He was still grading papers so I watched him. I saw him look at me from the corner of his eye.

"Charlie, go to sleep," he said. "I can't," I mumbled. He looked at me. He sighed and put all the papers on his night stand and turned the lamp off and laid down, and faced me. "Come here," He said softly. I scooted closer to him, and he wrapped his arms around me. I smiled and slowly drifted to sleep in his arms once again.