The Fight

Lance heaved his luggage into the back of Keith's red car. He situated it to fit around Keith's and leave some extra room. The chilly autumn air nipped at his skin and twirled his hair. Lance turned around to look at the trees, crossing his arms to conserve heat. The colors that were barely visible the last few months had quickly brightened. Waves of oranges, browns, reds, and yellows filled the trees and rested on the ground.

Keith called to Pidge as he walked to the car, more luggage in hand. "Don't you dare!"

Pidge ran out after him with an evil laugh, "I will!"

Lance shook his head with a smile and joined them by the car. The evening sun shone down in a way that highlighted their joy. It made their smiles bigger, their hair brighter, their faces softer. For a moment, Lance felt truly at peace. But in his life, happiness doesn't stay long. Flashes of Keith's torture strobed through his head.

Keith jumped onto Lance, wrapping his arms around him. He whispered into his ear with a soothing voice. "Shh, you're alright."

Lance took a deep breath and hugged him back. Another pair of arms hugged around the two of them with a giggle. "I'm here too, losers!"

It was like they were a family. Like the one Lance broke many years before. He broke the hug with a smile, "Alright guys, let's hit the road. It's a two hour drive."

Pidge sprawled across the back seat with her computer on her lap and headphones on. Keith drove with one hand on the wheel and one being used as a pillow by Lance.

"Hey, baby." Keith got Lance's attention.

Lance looked up to him from the middle console. "What?"

Keith struggled to say what he wanted, "I think we need to talk about the fight."

Lance closed his eyes and snuggled his cheek into Keith's hand, "What about it?"

"I mean, just-" he took his hand from Lance's grasp.

Lance pushed himself up and stared at where Keith's hand had just been.

"I just wanted to apologize." He kept his eyes on the road. "I know I overreacted. But,"

Lance sat back in the seat, giving him a questioning look. "But what?"

He ran a hand through his hair, "I just get really worried about you leaving me."

Lance scrunched his eyebrows together, "You think I'm gonna leave you?"

Keith glanced at him for a second, "No, I just-" He returned his eyes to the road and rested his head on his elbow. "I worry sometimes."

A small flame lit in Lance's chest. "Why would you worry?" His voice turned sharp.

Keith picked his head up and talked with his hand, "Because I just-"

"Do you think I'm some kind of whore?"

"No!" Keith let out a frustrated huff, "Of course not."

Lance's eyes stung, "I accepted the ring, didn't I? Isn't that enough proof? What more do you want?"

"Lance, I'm not saying you will leave. I'm just worried I will lose you."

His face scrunched up in anger, "That you'll lose me?" He tapped his chest with his fingertips, "Did you forget that I almost lost you?"

Keith ran a tense hand through his hair, "That's not the sa-"

"I watched you die, Keith."

He opened his mouth to respond, but couldn't find the words. Lance turned away from him and leaned against the window, "I'm just gonna sleep. I'm really tired."

The hotel room was big, holding two beds. Pidge pushed them to the side and ran over to claim the bed away from the window. "This one's mine." She pointed to them with a dramatic finger, "No funny business."

Lance chuckled as he tossed his suitcase onto the other bed. "Sure, Katie." He pointed to the desk by the small couch, "Go set up your little center."

"Yup." She jumped up to grab her computer bag.

Keith and Lance unpacked their bags in silence. Lance ignored all the looks Keith gave him. He knew that he wanted to talk, but that was the last thing Lance wanted to do right then. After unpacking the bags, Keith finally said something.

"Listen, Lance-I" he stopped.

Lance turned to look at him. He spoke low enough to keep Pidge from hearing. "I- I just-" He sighed. "I just want to sleep." He lied down on the bed and curled up in the blankets, "We have a long day tomorrow."