The Connection

They stared at each other for a few moments, registering the sight. Lance slowly stood, wide blue eyes staring into purple. He finally established his voice after a long wait. "Keith?" He couldn't believe his eyes. Did his body just give up and go crazy? Was he so hungry that his eyes played tricks on him?

Keith's breathing deepened, "Lance?"

"Keith?"

"Lance?"

"Keith!" Lance jumped on him, wrapping his arms over his shoulders.

Keith lifted him by his waist and kissed his hair, "Oh Lance!"

Favio stood with a grunt as he commented on their interaction. "What a touching reunion."

Lance turned around and gave him a nod, "Thank you. For saving my life."

He smiled and gave a half-hearted wave, "It's no problem for a fellow brother."

Keith hugged Lance's head, "Thank you, Favio. I owe you everything."

He laughed, "I'll hold you to it."

Lance pulled away and grabbed Keith's wrists, "We need to go."

"Ah, keep in mind," Favio pointed at Lance, "he's really weak. I'm sure you can imagine."

Keith gave him a somber nod, "Yeah, I can." He turned back to Lance and handed him an earpiece, "Let's go."

They ran out of the room and into the stairwell. Keith almost led them down, but Lance stopped him when he heard Galra members. Instead, they went up. Keith spoke into his earpiece, "Shiro what's your status?"

Bombs are planted. We're waiting for you. Where- where are you?

"I've got Lance, but we've run into a few Galra. We were forced to go up instead of down."

Keith that was a terrible idea.

"Well, we did, so help me out!"

Pidge chimed in, Alright, there's four floors. You are approaching the third floor. Go in there if it's safe.

Lance ran up to the door and peeked through the window. He quickly jumped back, "It's not!"

Okay, don't panic. You're gonna need to go on the roof. Coran is on his way, and the roof is clear.

Keith and Lance shared a nod, grabbed each other's hand, and continued up. When they approached the stairs to the roof, they heard Galra by the door. Keith informed Pidge. "Shit, Pidge. We're trapped."

Dammit! Okay, your only choice is to go in the fourth floor. Be careful!

They carefully entered the hallway of the top floor, checking for Galra. No members were in sight. Lance tiptoed around the hall, "Keith this isn't right, there should be-" Lance yelped as a bullet tore through his right calf, bringing him to the ground.

"Lance!" Keith tugged him back behind the doorway of the stairwell.

Lance muttered pitiful 'ow's as they dodged more bullets. Keith pulled out the gun on his thigh and shot back. "Lance, are you okay?!"

"I'll be fine!" More shots cut through the air, zipping past and burying themselves in the walls. Lance yelled into his earpiece, "Pidge! What do we do?!"

I don't know!

Keith called out as his gun clicked, "Damn it! I'm out!" He stuffed it back into its holster, "Pidge! What's the next step?!"

I don't know!

Keith ruffled his hair with a frustrated groan. "Shiro?! Shiro are you there?!"

Lance waited but there was no answer. "Pidge, what do we do?"

Fucking hell! I don't know, dammit!

Everyone brainstormed for a way out of there. After a few seconds, Keith spoke up. "Pidge, how close is Coran?!"

Umm...he's six minutes out.

"That'll have to do," Keith muttered. He grabbed Lance's wrist, "Come on, we're going to the roof!"

"But-" Lance couldn't answer before Keith pulled him up and through the door. When he turned the corner, he threw his knife into one of the Galra members. The other didn't have any time to grab his gun before Keith stabbed him as well.

They burst through the doors to the roof, wind hitting them like a wave. Lance turned around and scanned the landscape, but he couldn't spot Coran. "Keith, what do we do?!"

Keith stopped to stare at the ground. His face was filled with fear and confusion. Lance moved his hair away from his face, which was useless in the wind.

"Keith, my son," he placed his hands on Keith's shoulders, "Do you know where your mother went?"

Lance yelled at him, trying to get him out of his thoughts.

Krolia huffed, eyes wide and filled with fear. She glanced at Keith's bedroom door. "I refuse to have a psycho as a son."

"Keith!"

Keith gasped in realization, "It's name is Dirt!"

"Dirt," his father repeated with a chuckle. He turned to Keith's mother, "His name is Dirt."

Lance called out desperately, "Pidge! Shiro!"

"Hmm," Lance trailed off. He felt the warm air and beating sun. It was comforting to him. "Papa?"

He leaned back down to continue his work, "Yes, m'ijo?"

He stared out at the Cuban landscape. A small, black cat trotted around the dirt. "Do you like cats?"

"Keith please!"

Blood soaked into the floor. Lance never received an answer to his screams. Tears spilled out of his eyes, "Mama! Papa!"

"Kei-"

She watched the cat with horror as it twitched and convulsed. Soon, Dirt stopped moving.

"Papa!"

"Momma?"

"Keith!"

Keith was brought out of his trance in an instant. His ears flattened to a ring and his world slowed. "September 12th."

Lance barely heard him through his earpiece. "What?!"

Keith ignored him, "September 12th. 3:04pm. 4:04pm. Four years old."

Lance stared at him in confusion, waiting for an explanation.

Keith took a deep breath and opened his mouth. "Pidge?"

Yes?

"Burn it down."