Level 1: pt2

A loud cackle rang throughout the room - with the white noise, it sounded overly distorted.
Fuck, your head felt like it was gonna split open any second; you groaned deeply, eyes straining trying to see through the clouds of dust and wall chippings.

The pounding in your head was the worst thing, the throbbing pain had moved down to your eyes and ears. You'd be thrown back by the blast and from the pain you guessed you'd hit your head on something.
Tears stung your eyes, making you clench them shut; you whined and the cackle only continued.
'He was enjoying this.. Sick fuck'

Every cough and sputter sent harsh pangs of hurt to your head to which you held your hand tighter to it, tears were threatening to swan drive from your now open eyes but you mentally dismissed them as you brushed your hair back from your face.
You weren't giving up this easily.

——————
*flashback*

"Oi!! What the hell are you doing?!"
From within the scuffles of shoes, you heard a strong voice bellowing from far away.
"Leave her alone!"

It was coming closer and you cowered, shivering and already sobbing painfully loud as you brought your legs up closer to your chest and tucked your head further behind your arms; the cold floor beneath dug stones into your side to spite you.

You heard arguing, insults and laughter, it was a terrible noise.

You didn't wanna be hurt again, you pleaded in your head for the voice to help but you battled against doing so out loud..
What if they only made things worse?

Looked like you didn't have a choice anymore as the noise had stopped and a gentle hand was placed on your shoulder. You flinched and glanced up before looking away, you didn't want them to see you like this..

"Hey, Hey.. it's okay Darling, those punks are gone now"
It was a gentle sound, like a delicate flower moving softly with the rhythm of the wind.
"I'm Valerie but most people call me Val." She paused, taking in your appearance. "what's your name?"

She reached her hand out but withdrew it quickly when you flinched again. This time you looked up.

She had smooth brown skin, black wavy hair that complimented her dark eyes - shiny and hopeful, you noted a little mole just above her plump lips but there was a frown on her face as well.

'Well done Y/N.. you don't even know this girl and you've disappointed her..' you looked down, defeated.
"Y/N"

"What a beautiful name!" You could tell she was smiling from her tone, why was she here?
"Come on, let's get you to the school nurse."

You reluctantly agreed, your joints felt like they were burning. In your mind, you thanked her repeatedly for not judging or asking who those bullies were.

From that day on, Val became best friends with you - with much persistence on her part.
It's not like you didn't want to befriend her, you did, gosh you'd wished for a friend for what seemed like forever.
You were just scared of her reputation going to shit as people saw her with you, she didn't need to be dragged through the dirt too.

But she protected you, and herself. Always.
She was so brave and you admired that, you always aspired to be strong willed like her, powering through lifes challenges with ease and kicking bullies away like a superhero!
Maybe that was exaggerating but it didn't stop you smiling as you watched her make some joke about a tv show.

*end flashback*
——————-

Within the powdery dust came violent bites.
You felt the first one on your arm, your face contorting in agony as you felt another set of jaws clamp down above your ankle.