12 || Coming Out

|| Millie ||

"You're fucking gay?!" Simon gasps. Sadie goes bright red.

"Simon... Calm down."

"I thought you had a boyfriend!"

"It's called bisexual." Sadie rolls her eyes. I smile from the backseat. I can't believe this is happening. Not the breaking the rules thing, but just... This. Sadie and me.

"Millie, too, huh?" Simon sighs.

"Yeah," I say timidly, but I can't help but smile.

"Fuck," Sadie suddenly says, seeming a lot more stressed. Then I realize, this is her coming out. Honestly, I'd never thought about that. I've been too focused on actually being gay to worry about telling people. And besides, the whole school knows so... I guess it's different with Sadie.

"No shit, Sherlock," Simon says. He's laughing. "I'm guessing you broke up with Caleb?"

"Yeah..." Sadie nods slowly, her voice thick.

"Well, I mean, I'm proud of you Sades. I don't care if you broke the rules. I'm glad you told us." 

Sadie smiles shyly at that. Veronica isn't having it.

"Simon, I don't think you're seeing the point."

"Veronica, who even cares about the rules? I mean, I know I haven't kept-"

"Please spare me the details," Veronica says disgustedly. "And it's different because you're at college. The rule was no frick-frack while you're in the house."

"Veronica, we didn't even do anything. We still had our under-"

"You were sucking each other's faces off when I got in there."

"You walked in on them? Shit, Vrawr."

"You shut up."

I stare down at my hands, a tiny rueful smile on my face. I feel like they all secretly love this. Simon's been gone for a long time, and I know they've missed the delightful banter. 

Suddenly, Sadie's fingers are linked through mine as they finish up the call and we get to my house.

It's mom that opens the door. 

"Hi, girls! Millie, I thought you were spending the night?" 

Oh boy.

"Something came up," Veronica explains. "We've got stuff in the morning."

Karolina arrives behind mom and smiles at Veronica, who weakly returns it.

"Well, why don't you come in for a bit? I haven't seen you girls in a while. Would you like something to drink?"

"No thanks," Veronica and Sadie say as we parade into the living room. I sit between Sadie and Veronica on the couch, while Karolina and mom sit on the love seat.

"Dad's at work?" 

"Yeah, he's got a late shift tonight," Mom explains. Dad's a doctor. Mom teaches at the elementary school near us.

I guess I haven't really been that focused on my parents lately... But yeah, they're alright. Typical suburban parents. I'm not sure how they'll react to this.

"So, Sadie, Veronica? How've you been?"

This is going to be awful. I can tell. So I might as well-

"Mom? I need to tell you something," I mutter.

"Oh? Is something wrong?"

I glance at Sadie, who gives the tiniest of nods. She just did this, I can too.

"Mom, I'm... Uh, Sadie and I-"

"We're in love," Sadie says. Mom gasps a little and her eyes are wide. I smile in surprise.

"Really? Millie, I had no idea. I mean... I thought you liked Noah." People are always thinking things.

"Yeah, I guess I kept it a secret... I mean, I didn't totally know until..." I sigh. This is really, really awkward.

"Well, thank you for telling me... Karolina did you know?"

"Yeah."

And it's over. I've done it. I'm sure mom'll just tell dad and it'll be done. And maybe I've reached a plateau. Maybe things will be normal now. Yeah.

Everyone's smiling a little bit, even Veronica. And when Karolina holds up her hand for a high five, Veronica complies.  

Things are definitely going uphill now, and I think that's better than a plateau.

It's been a rough week- only a week?! -but I've gotten the love of my life out of it. And maybe things are still tough, but... that's life. And we'll just have to figure it out.