Defying the Odds (The 4th Quarter Quell)

Prologue

Layla

The icy cold is replaced with the cool wind as I pull myself out of the water and onto the grass. My hair is dripping wet and my body is shivering, and the towel I wrap around myself does little to warm me. I quickly dry off and pull on my clothes over my swimsuit; I don't have much time to reach my house until the Capitol program tonight.

My feet find my shoes and I am nearly running to my house to get there in time. When I open the front door, my mother stares at me in question, but doesn't say a word. She doesn't ask where I was, or why my hair – now pulled up – is soaked. She turns back to the television and purses her lips as I kick off my shoes.

"Decided to have a little late afternoon swim, then?"

"Shut up, Luca," I growl, and shove my brother's arm as he enters the room from the kitchen. He knows that swimming out of the district ground are illegal, but instead he smirks at my rebellious action.

"You missed dinner."

I step into the kitchen and snatch the last piece of bread before joining my mother on the couch. Luca slides in next to me, and I let out a sigh as we wait for the famous Capitol seal to appear.

The front door opens and my father walks in, Lily following in his footsteps. She quickly runs over to the couch and squeezes herself in between Luca and me, and my father seats himself at his chair.

The Capitol seal blazes onto the television. We all wait in anticipation for Tiberius Flickerman to appear, his bright smile and happy face reflecting the joyous spirits of the Capitol citizens.

When he does, Luca lets out a breath. I feel the same fear that he does, that something will happen.

The reading of the card precedes each Quarter Quell, inducing more fear than the one before. Every Quarter Quell has had more bloodshed, alliances, and competition than any year of the Hunger Games.

Regardless of what the card reads, my name is already entered in the Games six times.

Luca rests his arms on his knees, and his eyes are blazing with hatred as Tiberius announces it is the time for the reading of the card.

The anthem plays as President Snow walks onto the stage, followed by a child in white holding a box. The president's blonde hair is so light that it is practically white, and his pale blue eyes seem to be staring into my own.

I can feel my heart thumping against my chest, and I pray that the changing rules will not throw me into the arena. The young president tells the tale of the Hunger Games, how it arose from the Dark Days, and Panem rising from the ashes. Then he tells of the Quarter Quell; every twenty-five years would be marked by a Quarter Quell, an enhanced version of the Games.

"On the twenty-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that their children were dying because of their choice to initiate violence, every district was made to hold an election and vote on the tributes who would represent it."

With each word he speaks, the suspense builds.

"On the fiftieth anniversary," the president continues, "as a reminder that two rebels died for each Capitol citizen, every district was required to send twice as many tributes."

Shivers run up my spine.

"On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder that only the strongest of tributes will excel to become victors, the tributes are to only use materials from the arena as weapons."

That is the only Quarter Quell that plays on repeat. That year was the bloodiest, with tributes fashioning weapons from the arena resources. Some were creative and made weapons, but the victor from two came out by beating a girl from eight maliciously with a boulder.

There is a pause before the president speaks again.

"Now we must honor our fourth Quarter Quell."

We are all sitting on the edges of our seats, awakened by fear.

The child in white steps up to the president and opens the box, and the president pulls out a yellowed envelope. He reads from it.

"On the hundredth anniversary, as a reminder that hope is still present for all of the tributes of Panem, two tributes shall be crowned victor instead of one."

I sit in my spot, rigid.

"What?" Lily's small voice asks.

My mother's eyes are glued to the screen, glassy and frozen in place.

"What does this mean?" Lily asks, begging for someone to answer her. My head turns to Luca, my brother, my twin, and he is practically mirroring me.

"Two winners," he whispers.

"This has never happened." My father is still staring at the screen in confusion. "In all of the years, this has never happened."

I look at him.

"Yes, it has."

The heads in the room turn to face me.

"No, it hasn't happened," Luca says, shaking his head.

"Yes," I correct him. "The seventy-fourth games? Katniss and Peeta?"

"But that wasn't supposed to happen," my father says.

The room turns silent, and I hear my mother breathe in sharply. Lily is now quiet and still, but I can feel her leg shaking against mine.

"Why would they do it?" I ask my father.

"I don't know, I don't know."

"Maybe they want to give the tributes hope," my mother answers.

"But why now?" Luca asks her. "Why would they wait until thousands have been killed, until thousands have lost their children?!"

"Luca!" I reprimand him. It is wrong to speak poorly of the Capitol, especially in District Four. His cheeks burn pink, and the room is filled once again with silence.

My head turns to my hands, shaking in my lap, and I bite my lip nervously.

This fragment of hope that is rising from the Quell will raise the people up. This silver lining against the grey skies will bring forth the ones loyal to the Capitol, but gather ones loyal to the districts. Surely President Snow knows that this is a bad idea, a poor choice in judgment, perhaps? No one in the districts can fight a war, but this would be the beginning. The people will not overlook the opportunity to rise against the Capitol.

These games will change everything.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

hello all of you lovely followers of amanda! this is @beccaathesmartaleck (call me becca) & amanda and i are writing this soon-to-be freaking amazing fanfiction. we'll be alternating chapters in different P.O.V.'s. we hope you stick around to read the first chapter which should be up tomorrow! let us know what you think down in the comments!

♥ becca

Hey guys! It's Amanda and my best firend Becca over there^^^. Have you heard of this amazing person yet...? I know I've mentioned her before! If you answered yes...well, you're awesome! If you answered no...you need to rethink your life and go check out her amazing stories! You can find her @beccaathesmartaleck . Okay so we decided to write this amazingly epic Hunger games Fanfiction... trust me, you will DIE of feels. Becca and I will be alternating chapters, her writing from Layla's POV and me writing from Asher's POV. Please comment and vote & the first chapter should be up tomorrow!

Stay Strong and Be Brave,

Amanda :) <4