Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Layla

My fingers curl around the plaid button up that covers me, the sweet smell of ocean still on there, but traces of Asher left on it. A soft smile comes to my lips as I remember how he pulled it off for me when he saw goose bumps rising on my bare arms in the cool wind.

A knock sounds on my door, waking me from my trance.

“It’s time to get up. You need to get something to eat and then your prep team has to get started.” Finnick’s voice is stern and serious. I know that the interviews are important, for sponsors, but I can’t do what Finnick is asking of me. I can’t pull off a modest sexy. I just want to be Layla.

“Brennan’s not up yet, sweetheart,” he says when I don’t reply. I let out a sigh of relief, and wrap the shirt around my stomach tighter as I leave the warm blankets on my bed and journey into the dining room.

Finnick eyes the shirt, but doesn’t say anything. I know he saw me wearing it last night when I came back from the roof, but he didn’t say anything then either. I quickly eat some food, and hot cocoa follows the food.

“Don’t want to eat too much,” jokes one of the girls on my prep team, Whitty, as I reach for another slice of banana bread. “You’re not going to fit in your dress if you eat much more, hun.”

Finnick’s expression is the same as mine, and I pull my hand back from the table.

“I’m done, then,” I say, curtly, and stand from the table before sipping the last bit of my cocoa. It makes me sad to waste the few sips left in there, but if my prep team wants me to stop eating, I will. Anything to make them happy.

They work on me all day. They paint my nails, shower my skin with powder that makes it shimmer like glitter, and curl my hair into large waves that tumble down my back and hit my waist. They fit me into my dress first before doing my makeup, and I hardly have time to see the deep red color covered in gems before I have to close my eyes. They start on my forehead and work their way down, highlighting and darkening my eyes until they move down to my chin.

I finally open my eyes, and I can already feel the fake eyelashes perfectly placed my lids. I take a quick peek in the mirror and nearly lose my breath.

I look stunning.

They paint my lips to be full and a deep red, and I glance down at my dress to see the gorgeous reds all mixed together with gems. I can feel the dress coming together at my knees, and the open back of it.

A knock sounds at my door.

“Come in,” I say, expecting Finnick to open the door.

Brennan walks in.

My prep team is now working on my face makeup, blending it with my jaw and continuing further down my neck. But they have not covered my neck, the spot where Asher left his love on me.

“What the hell is that?!” Brennan rages. He is hardly ready, dressed in a light blue button up and a white tie.

“What’s what?!” I demand, feeling a blush rising to my cheeks.

My prep team notices the hickey on my neck and they begin to work on it, slathering some liquid foundation on it before blending it.

“Excuse me,” one of the girls pipes up. “I don’t-”

“What the hell are you still doing with him?!” Brennan shouts, his expression beyond pissed. “I told you to-”

“You’re not in charge of me! Get out of my room!”