Chapter 09|

Chapter 09| Photograph

I remove another photograph from the wall, this time one of the poppies, in hopes of finding a letter behind it. But, just like every other flower or meadow related object I've checked so far, nothing is there. I sigh in disappointment and remove the backing of the framed picture, yet again, nothing.

Disappointed, I set the frame back. "Relax, Ivy, Callum said not to overanalyze it," I mutter to myself quietly.

I'll make a list. I did it last time with the skittles, what do I have to lose with this?

I pull out the photograph from my back pocket and begin to study it.

So, on the day this picture was taken, Callum and I;

Woke up.

Ate breakfast.

Got in the car—maybe it's in the car.

I head towards the garage, with my keys in hand, and unlock the car. I begin to search through the car. Checking the glove box, trunk, under the seats, and even that random armrest in the backseats. By the end, I've got seventy-eight cents, three pieces of popcorn, a pair of sunglasses, and a dozen gum wrappers, but no envelope.

Locking the car, I return to the living room and go back to my list.

Alright, after the car ride,

Callum and I stopped the car.

Walked through the trees for a while.

Found a meadow.

Callum stopped to take a couple pictures—oh... Callum literally said not to overthink it, and what do you do Ivy? Overthink it, that's what.

Racing to our closet, I pluck Callum's camera bag off one of his shelves, swiftly unzipping the bag. Please be in there, please be in there, please—oh thank god! Tucked right beside Callum's camera, is the white envelope I've been tearing the house apart for. Hurrying to the bed, I fish out the envelope, before ripping it open, grabbing the letter.

Dear Ivy,

I hope you're well, I hope you're healthy  and have been taking care of yourself. It's very important you do, I hope everyone's doing alright as well. I'm sorry I'm not there to help.

You've only got one more letter to read after this.

Now, the reason why I put the photograph in, is quite simple. Sure it isn't the first picture I ever took of you, or us. But it's still a really special picture. It was one of the first pictures I took of you when I actually started getting the hang of a camera. Of course, it isn't perfect, but it was when I really started applying the new skills I was learning in class.

The whole reason why I even decided to pursue photography was because of you, Ivy. Sure, I had always had a passion for it, but I had never thought of making it into a career. Thank you for that extra push. Thank you for helping me to take a risk, and for helping me pursue a career I actually enjoy and love. Thank you for sticking by my side, and just... thank you.

The next clue is extremely easy. It's in the front zipper because I couldn't fit it in the envelope. You'll get it in no time, just remember that you have to wait till tomorrow.

The best photographer in the world,

Callum

I set the letter aside and zip open the front zipper, only to pull out a little black velvet box.