Chapter 10|

Chapter 10| Velvet

Pushing the car door shut, I wrap my arms around myself, taking in a breath of the familiar, fresh, piney air.

It certainly has been a while since I've been.

Staring up ahead there are two cabins. Two cabins I've grown very found of. I falter towards the cabin on the left, noticing something attached to the door.

Taped to the door is an envelope, the backside facing me, with my name written in blue ink. I pull the envelope off the door and slowly make my way towards the old wooden swing attached to the branch of a tall, large tree. Carefully pulling myself up onto the swing, I cautiously open the envelope, and pull out the final letter.

Dear Ivy,

So, you've managed to find the last, and final letter, letter 11. It probably wasn't even that difficult seeing as how I pretty much gave you the answer through the clue.

Speaking of the clue, let's talk about the box.

It all started on the last day of senior year. We had just graduated, and after the after party, I took you out to this place right here. The good ol' cabins. You were confused at first and kept asking me about what was going on. I ignored all of your questions, probably confusing you even more.

Anyways, so we both sat on the old tree stump near the lake and talked for a bit. And then, I popped the question. You have no idea how nervous I was. I mean, we were just kids, fresh outta high school. There were things you wanted to do, and things I wanted to do. I was so afraid you were going to say no, that we were rushing things. But you didn't. In fact, you smiled. You nodded your head, and... that was it. You know the rest. I'm smiling like an idiot right now.

Next, I would like to explain why I wrote these letters in the first place. Really, it was just a way for me to help you through all this and things like that. But, as I kept writing them, I realized that it was also my way of saying goodbye, a proper goodbye.

I want to apologize, once again for not telling you sooner. I just didn't want to stress you out. You know it's not healthy. I'm sorry for leaving you. But I know I've got nothing to worry about because I know you're going to be okay, great even. And, when the time comes, I don't want you to be closed off to the idea of moving on. I only want you to be happy. I hope you and our daughter Iris are doing alright. At least I hope her name is Iris, but I love her no matter what her name is. She's a brave kid. I know she's doing fine. You and I have surely taught her well.

Well, this is it. I hope these letters have helped Ivy, I truly do. I love you, and I always will. Thank you for loving me, and for allowing me to love you back. Thank you for giving me a family. I miss you, but I'll always be with you, Ivy.

All my love,

Callum

A tear falls onto the blank edge of the letter. I raise my hand up to my face to wipe away the stray tears. Looking up at the sky, I close my eyes in order to take a proper breath.

Once I've composed myself, I fold the letter back up, and gently place it back in its envelope, before stuffing it into my coat pocket. Resting my hand on my stomach, a smile begins to spread upon my lips as I stare at the bump. "Daddy loves you very much... Iris," I coo softly.

With my hand still resting on my stomach, I turn my attention forward as the sun begins to set over the lake. I smile again, softly, knowing that Callum is, and will forever remain right by our side—guiding the both of us.