Prologue Part 1

Cleveland's PoV-

"Okay, kid. Smile real big or they won't want you."

The big man's voice made me jump but I did as I was told.

He turned the car off and turned to look back at me with an uneasy look. He opened his mouth then closed it.

The house we pulled up to was small but very pretty. A couple was standing by the front door, with smiles almost as big as mine.

The big man opened the door for me.

I walked out of the car and towards the couple.

"This is her?" The women questioned excitedly.

"Yup, brought her directly from Cleveland." He mumbled quietly.

"Well, it's so nice to meet you, Cleveland." She greeted me while extending her arms out for a hug. While I didn't bother hugging her, the big man didn't bother correcting her.

"Only a month, right?" The man asked as he placed an arm around his wife. His smile fell, making me realize his smile was just as fake as mine.

"That's the minimum." The big man replied. He looked down at me and gave me a sharpy nod before turning away, back to her car.

"Come on in! We don't have a bedroom set up just yet, but the couch downstairs is open." The women rambled as we stepped inside the small house.

Once my foster parents realized how much money the government gives them for taking care of me, that month turned into years.

They never did set up that bedroom, but the downstairs couch wasn't too bad.

They didn't act like how I thought parents were supposed to act. They never asked me how school was, they never talked to me for longer than a minute or two, and they never gave me a real name.

To be fair, I didn't put in any more effort than they did. It was never my plan to stay.

I was fifteen when I finally had stolen enough money to leave. The moment I could, I got a bus ticket to the furthest place I could, which was Portland, Oregon.

~~~

Jayce's PoV-

The therapist's eyes were darting around the room, everywhere but to my own.

"Maybe we should call your parents in here before discussing this situation any further." He mumbled so fast I could barely understand him.

And before I could protest, he jogged out the door.

He was gone longer than he should have but I understood when he entered back in with not only my parents behind him, but also two security guards.

My parents sat down in chairs across the room, the chairs furthest from myself.

"A-After looking at Jayce's situation, it's more than clear he suffers from Dissociative Personality Disorder." The man stated.

For the moment, both my parents looked up from their phones.

"And that is?" My mother snapped, too annoyed about missing a meeting for this than anything else.

The therapist glanced at me but when he saw that I was already looking at him, he looked towards the security guards.

"It's like another person living inside of him. It talks to him and convinces him to do bad things. And sometimes when he gets angry, the other personality will take over and have full control." I laughed quietly, making them all look at me with nervousness in their eyes.

When have I ever told you to do something bad?

I thought about it and he was right.

He has never told me to do something that I haven't already thought of.

"Just give him whatever medication he needs to be cured." My father said with a wave of his hand, his eyes trained back on his phone.

I want to leave.

As much as I agreed, I didn't feel like taking down two grown men in uniform.

"It's not that simple; there isn't any known cure. All I could give him is medicine for the anger problems." He explained.

My mother shared a look with my father.

"We'll think over the options."

My parents both stood up and headed for the door, without as much as a look towards me.

The ride home was filled with my mother and father whispering to each other in the front, while I was stuck in the back.

Once we got home, my parents sat me down at the dinner table. A dinner table we all haven't sat at together in years.

"We thought it over and agreed it's best if you stay with your uncle. He lives in Portland and we can get you out there as soon as tomorrow morning." My mother explained. I couldn't see a drop of emotion behind her eyes.

"What uncle?"

I didn't get a response, but I didn't think I would.

"Pack your stuff and be ready to leave by 5 am."

There wasn't any uncle. But there was a guy that picked me from the airport and drove me to an apartment that he claimed was now mine.

The apartment was small, but it was fully furnished. Everything was nice and ready for me, as if this were the plan the whole time.