Mea Culpa

Dinner was a quiet affair. Yuuri had baked sweet rolls and cooked some savory miso soup, but neither of them seemed to be very hungry, just pushing their food around. Yuuri's leg bounced anxiously, and his stomach was a queasy mess. What if they called Augustus only to find out that Christophe had been sold? Or worse... Yuuri did not want to think about it too much. Viktor would be devastated, he was certain about that.

The poor fairy was just starting to be more sure of himself, and Yuuri couldn't bear it if he started reverting back to how he was before. Yuuri, submersed in his thoughts, realized that he hadn't heard the clinking of a spoon in a while. The atmosphere of the room was heavy and thick, almost stifling.

Yuuri lifted his gaze and met Viktor's. Those aquamarine eyes carried fear in them, although Viktor's face was set in resolve and a touch of hope. Yuuri put his hands together out of tradition and habit.

"Gochisousama deshita." Viktor followed as well. His pronunciation was improving every day. Yuuri took in a vast breath and then expelled it as he stood. "I am going to find out about your friend's whereabouts," he said, determined.

"I just want to know that he's okay, if nothing else," Viktor replied, sad and quiet. Yuuri's heart suddenly felt too tight in his chest, like it was expanding and trying to push up into his throat. Viktor stood without a sound and began to clear the dishes. He gave Yuuri a soft, downcast smile, and then moved towards the kitchen while bearing a tray of half-eaten dishes. Yuuri felt just awful about wasting good food, but he didn't want Viktor or himself to feel sick by eating when they didn't feel up for it.

Yuuri still had a pot of leftover soup and almost a whole loaf of sweet milk bread leftover. Oh well, the soup could be kept in the ice box and warmed up again tomorrow, and they could eat the bread as a snack or with tea. He watched Viktor's retreating back until he turned the corner, abundant hair swishing around him like a silk cape.

With a sigh of resoled determination, Yuuri crossed the room to the small table where the telephone resided. He picked up the earpiece and tried his best to prepare himself to talk to Phichit. He dialled the operator, and as she switched him over he recalled, with a twist of mortification, that he had not told his friend that Viktor was living with him. He swallowed nervously, and heard someone answer the call on the other end.

"Hello?" Phichit chirped cheerfully.

"Um..." Yuuri bit his lip. "Good evening Phichit." As he had expected, his friend launched into a rapid-fire series of greetings and questions. Yuuri pulled the phone away from his ear for a few moments, still hearing Phichit's volleys of "How have you been"s and "Why have you not called"s and "I missed you"s. Yuuri felt guilty for not contacting Phichit in so long...

"I've been fine. It's been busy around here," Yuuri replied. Phichit was silent for a second, as if waiting in anticipation for Yuuri to elaborate.

"And? What have you been doing all this time?" 

"A-ha," Yuuri laughed awkwardly. "I've-" He spotted movement from the corner of his vision and turned his head to see Viktor traversing the dining room. The airy, rosy layers of transparent fabric floated around him as he walked. "Viktor-" The vision in pink stopped and looked at him. When their eyes met, his heart skipped a beat. Viktor cocked his head to one side, sending his hair spilling off his shoulder and down his back.

"Viktor? Who's that? You're not making any sense!" Phichit's voice carried through, but it seemed so distant, like he was in another room. Viktor came to Yuuri, concern flickering in his eyes. Yuuri reached out and gave the fairy's left hand a comforting squeeze. Viktor smiled gratefully, and then Yuuri relinquished his touch. Viktor lingered for a moment before letting his fingers fall, then turned and drifted out of the room.