Chapter Five

{comments are extremely helpful and any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) enjoy!)

Chapter 5

She had been taken a few nights later by a group of heavily armed guards. I paced my cell anxiously unsure if she had been taken to her death or just another conference with the Allfather to plea her case once again.

"Loki, please do calm yourself." Frigga was watching me, worry written clearly on her features.

"How can I?" I mumbled feeling quite broken at that moment.

I knew for a fact she had never seen me in such a state. So unnerved, so unsure of myself, so unlike what I had worked hard to make people see. I was becoming the lost child that I really was.

I quickly shook the thought from my mind as I put on my usual smug look. I wasn't about to let my guard down and expose what I really was.

Frigga had been saying something, I hadn't been paying much attention. I knew it was her trying to reassure me, but what I needed was a change in subject.

I turned toward the barrier taking a few steps toward it, my arms folded neatly behind my back. Just in time to see the guards bringing in new prisoners.

"Odin continues to bring me new friends." I spat like it was acid on my tongue. "How thoughtful."

Frigga must of sensed my attempt at a change in subject as I felt her gaze on my back. "The books I sent, do they not interest you?"

I turned back to her. She would never know how much those books actually meant to me. I would never show her because I wanted to be strong. I wanted so desperately to be what everyone already though I was.

"Is that how I am to while away eternity? Reading?"

Somehow she knew, I saw it in her eyes. At that moment I should of thanked her, but of course I acted like the thankless bastard that I pretended to be.

She watched me with those always knowing and caring eyes. "I've done everything in my power to make you comfortable, Loki."

I looked right at her with my smug, confident gaze. "Have you?" I paused a moment to watch her leaning forward on the small desk that was placed between us, "Does Odin share your concern?"

I felt the weight of my venomous sarcasm hit her hard, but I continued no longer caring. She gave me a look I couldn't quite read. "Does Thor?" I look off a moment feigning thoughtful concern. "It must be so inconvenient them asking after me day and night."

She gave me a serious look, one that in my childhood I would of feared, maybe even feared a little now. "You know full well it was your actions that brought you here."

I pushed off the table giving a small hand gesture, "My actions?" I moved around the table giving a slight shake of my head in disagreement "I was merely giving truth to the lie that I had been fed my entire life... That I was born to be a king."

As I spoke I turned away from her once again, but only briefly before turning back to hear her words "a king? A true king admits his faults." She was lecturing me as she had before. I gave a small roll of my eyes as I listened, "What of the lives you took on earth?"

I was feeling irritated now and I snapped back quickly "A mere handful compared to the number that Odin has taken himself." I moved once again to ward the barrier.

"Your father..." She began but I snapped turning quickly and yelling with such venom "He's not my father!"

She just looked at me a moment and I knew what she was about to say.

"Then am I not your mother?" The question stung and I instantly regretted my out burst. I wanted so bad to wrap my arms around her and say I'm sorry, but I couldn't. I let myself show a slightest sliver of regret before I made it worse.

"Your not."

She let out a soft chuckle and I could see the hurt in her eyes. It made me want to rip my own heart out. How could I be such a bastard to the only one who ever truly cared for me.

She took a step forward, "You're always so perceptive about everyone but yourself."

I watched her silently thinking about what she said. She was so wise and kind. I didn't deserve her love.

I reached out to touch her hand, but my hand went right through hers causing the double to fade away. I watched her disappear, the hurt never leaving her eyes. How could I be so awful?

....................

I was laying flat on my bed tossing a cup up and catching it with one hand while I rested my head on the other. I wasn't doing it out of boredom, no I was doing it so I wouldn't have to think about what I had heard from the guards. She was gone.

They never actually told me, I had just over heard the guards whispers that Odin's word had been finale. I keep my focus on the cup watching it go up into the air then land back into my hand.

It was the only way I could keep myself from staring at the cell across from mine with its new tenants.

I didn't dare touch the books, less I loose my unstable grip on what little control I had and completely fall apart. No, she'd want me to stay strong.

My thoughts were interrupted by a commotion a few cells down. I furrowed my brow a bit confused. What could possibly be happening here of all places?

I sat up and just listened a moment, thinking perhaps it was just a simple fight among the prisoners.

Then I saw a few guards run by my cell and my curiosity peaked. I heard a struggle and the alarms blaring. It sounded as though someone was breaking the cell barriers.

I finally stood and walked to my barrier just in time to see a large monstrous creature approaching.

He stopped seeing me. He walked up to my barrier watching me, almost like he was debating whether to release me as well.

A smirked formed across my features as I starred back, giving him a stern knowing glance. He knew I wasn't to be messed with. Perhaps I looked as intimidating as I felt or maybe he saw through to how broken I was and thought I was weak. Whatever the case he turned to leave, but seeing this as my only chance at revenge I spoke up.

"You might want to take the stairs on the left."

He glared back at me like he was wondering if I could be trusted before heading for the left.