Chapter 2 - I Don't Hate You

Branch picked up her practically lifeless body and took her inside immediately. He laid her down by the fire place and wiped the snow off her. Branch placed a thick fuzzy blanket over her and left her to rest while he went to go make something hot. Minutes went by. Poppy finally regained consciousness and opened her eyes. She sat up and looked around. "Oh good. You're awake." Branch said walking in with a cup of Hot Chocolate. He set it down next to Poppy who was sniffling and had a high fever. "What were you thinking? Staying out there in the cold. It's 10 degrees out there!" Branch scolded. "I'm sorry! I just wanted you to accept my invitation." Poppy said in a weak voice. "(Sigh) No. I'm sorry. I should've just accepted your invite. Then you wouldn't be in this state. Drink this." Branch said referring to the mug of hot chocolate next to her. "Your fever is really high. Take this." Branch said holding an aspirin pill. Poppy took the pill along with the hot chocolate. "Thanks for... taking care of me Branch. I know you hate me." Poppy said again in a weak voice. "I don't... (Sigh) I Don't hate you. I just hate your positivity. That's all." Branch reluctantly replied. Poppy shivered as she was still freezing cold. She looked up at Branch with puppy eyes. Her face read "can I have a a cuddle please?". Branch just stared back. "Ugh fine!" He said before sitting down next to her and hugging her. She felt warmer. Having someone by her side for comfort made her feel better. "Thank you Branch." She said quietly. The night went on. It was quiet and warm. Until, The look in Poppy's face was back. She got up and ran to the bathroom as fast as she could. She leaned her head against the sink and just puked her guts out. "Oh gosh. You okay?" Branch asked in a concerned voice. Poppy looked at him with a painful look on her face. "I... hate this." She said in a painful voice. Branch patted her on the back. "Don't worry, it's gonna be okay." He said in a comforting voice. Poppy smiled. Branch helped her walk back to the fire place for her to rest. "Ok Poppy. You need to rest. OK?" Branch said. "Ok but can you sleep close to me please?" She asked. "I get nightmares easily when I'm sick and I could use some great comfort like you." She continued. "(Sigh) fine." Branch reluctantly agreed. He brought out a sleeping bag and laid it down beside Poppy. "Good night Branch." She said weakly. "Good night Poppy." He said before looking up to the ceiling. What had he gotten himself into?