Follow Me Junebug

DAY

Suddenly I flash back to an old forgotten memory. I'm walking through a cloud of smoke and dust. Then I reach out in front of me and grab a girls hand. June, I think testing the name in my mind. Just as quickly as the vision came, it's gone again and I'm back on the streets of Los Angeles.

A million questions run through my head, but I refrain from asking them when I see conflicting emotions play out across her face. Happiness, grief, agony, longing, nervousness, and something else. Curiosity maybe? My gaze lingers for a while as I take in her long dark hair puled back into a high tight tail and her Republic uniform. I notice the heat rising in her cheeks when she catches me staring and I quickly look away, just in time to see Eden approaching.

A look of relief floods June's face momentarily and then she shoots a pleading look at Eden, who nods ever so slightly in return. He glances back and me, and then at June again before smiling mischievously and reminding me of out plans to stop by Lucy's apartment before dinner with Tess.

I glance back at June. "So I guess I'll see you tonight then?"

She nods and a small smile spreads across her face. "See you then, Day."

I'm so busy trying to remember something - anything - else about June that I don't even stop to correct her.