Chapter 4 - Escape

Elias dashed into the foyer just as Wren careened out of the master bedroom, tendrils of smoke trailing behind her. Although her sweatshirt was singed and dripped with water, she appeared to be unharmed.

“Elias!” She gasped, halting in front of him. “The fire alarm. I accidentally —”

“Give me your keys.” He held out his hand. “We’re leaving.”

She handed him a rabbit’s foot keychain with two keys, one with a Toyota symbol on it. The other likely belonged to her apartment or house — the place where she kept her stash of dragonspirit. Unfortunately, he didn’t know her address.

Yet.

They rushed out the front door and jumped into the old Corolla. He started the engine, backed out of the driveway, and slammed the manual transmission into first gear. Gears ground, a smell similar to burning newspaper. The car shook and lurched forward. Headlights illuminated, as did the service engine indicator.

But they were moving.

“Where do you live?” he asked after they left the neighborhood.

“Forget it,” she snapped, arms crossed, head facing the passenger window.

So much for that approach. He pulled onto US-26 and headed west toward Beaverton. “So, how did you accidentally start —”

“It was your fault you know!” She whipped around to face him. “If you hadn’t been so...inconsiderate!”

He glanced at her. She was...different. Her eyes were different, almost glowing. “What happened to your eyebrow ring?”

She drew a sharp breath and turned away. After digging a silvery stud out of her pocket, she messed with her face before turning back. Although the piercing once more adorned her right eyebrow, it appeared to be in a slightly different position.

Upon closer inspection, he didn’t notice another set of piercing holes. In fact, he didn’t recall any holes when she’d looked at him without the stud a few seconds ago.

But how could that be possible?

“As I was saying, the whole thing was your fault.” She scowled, then stared at her knees. “I’m paying you to train me, not to make me feel bad when I don’t know how to crack a lock.

“That’s not a basic skill by the way. Humans aren’t born knowing it. I haven’t even practiced.

“There’s probably books I could read. I learn fast. I bet in a few days, I’ll be able to open a safe quicker than you. Then what will you say?”

Her outburst, the tone of it, the way her speech accelerated...something tugged at the corners of his mouth. Something unfamiliar. Something he hadn’t experienced in a long time.

“Elias, are you smiling?” she asked.

Through conscious effort, he restored what came natural to him: an expression of impassivity.

“You were smiling!” From her tone, he couldn’t tell if she was upset or amused. To his displeasure, she opted for the latter and flashed a smile of her own.

He studied the road.

“You know,” she said with wistful enthusiasm. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you smile. Not since…”

He pulled into Maguffy’s parking lot. The pub would only remain open for another hour, until three AM, but that should be plenty of time to spend a few bucks. “You were saying?”