Chapter 13 - Circuit

As Yuki’s limousine pulled out of the driveway, Wren waved. Electric motors whirred as the gates closed. Yuki hadn’t revealed her reason for leaving at 10:30 PM, but neither had Wren insisted upon an explanation. Other things occupied her mind — like the enthralling man standing beside her, oddly silent since his arrival fifteen minutes ago. 

She had it all planned out. With two helmets just inside the front door, and two tires deflated on her car, nothing could go wrong. She didn’t relish the thought of manipulating him, but driving separate vehicles made no sense. They were on the same team and —

“Why?” Elias growled the word. He swung around so that their eyes met, his breathtaking orbs narrowing into horizontal slits of scarcely contained fury.

“What do you mean?” She stepped back.

Had he already figured out her plan? If so, did it really upset him that much?

“Why’d you do it?” He closed in, not giving her a chance to retreat.

“I don’t understand.” She bumped into the Cadillac Escalade. The SUV’s side mirror dug into her back.

He couldn’t possibly see the flat tires from this angle. And even if he could, why would he suspect her involvement?

“You paid for my mom’s medical care.” His right fist slammed into the Escalade door, creating a noticeable dent.

She gulped at the unrelenting knot of apprehension in her throat and tried to recall what she’d done. “You mean at Cedar Hills?”

“Yes.”

The faint smell of lemons washed over her. He must have visited his mother today; he always smelled like citrus afterwards. Still, why would her action upset him? She’d done it as an afterthought, really. While waiting around at home, she’d gone online to help with his past and future bills. She rarely used the bank card Yuki gave her, so why not?

“I thought you would like it,” she said.

“Does Yuki know how much money you spent?”

“She puts ten thousand a month into my account and says I can spend it however I want.”

“She gives you ten thousand dollars a month?”

Wren nodded. “I just wanted to help, Elias. Really.”

He fumed and raised his fist as if to punch the car again. “I’m paying you back. Every penny.”

“What?” She shook her head. “I don’t want that.”

“Too bad. I refuse to become your charity case.”

“I — I don’t know what that means.”

“It means you pity me. And it —” His fist slammed into the same spot on the door, widening the dent. “I don’t need help from anyone. Not Yuki, not Howitzer, and sure as hell not you.”

“Elias, I don’t pity you.” Her eyes brimmed with tears. “I really don’t. You have to believe me. I just — I really wanted to help you.”

“Why?”

“Because.” She wiped her eyes. “Because I like you.”

“Yeh? Well stop. This isn’t a fu —.” He ground his teeth. “This isn’t a dating game. I don’t like you. I’ll never like you. Ever.” He turned around but not before she caught a glint of moisture in his eyes. “You don’t even know me,” he said with somewhat less anger.

But she did know him. She’d known him for over seven years. At thirteen, he’d experienced his first kiss: Fiona Dalton, a cute blonde with metal brackets on her teeth. At fifteen, he cried in his bedroom while his third foster family discussed ‘attitude problems’ with a caseworker. At seventeen, he ran away from his fourth family...and met Howitzer.