Chapter 1

The twelfth of April dawned clear.

Sunlight glinted on the needles of Thiranu's pine trees, and cascaded through empty boughs of birch, oak, aspen, and maple. Under its heat the snow-drifts of winter thinned into the air, the vapor forming trailing white shrouds amid the quiet trees of the forest. As the light hit them, they glittered like the breath of dragons and unraveled slowly into weak, wisping strands that dissipated with silent sighs.

The houses of Ceristen stirred. Morning meals warmed over the fire; men fed their animals and walked the fields, gauging the days until the planting could begin. Around the village, news circulated that the yearly horse sale was on the move northward: it would arrive at Thiranu in less than a se'ennight.

Winds sailed over the little mountain, coming down cool and fresh from the high Elerien peaks to gently stir the lowlands that flanked the West-Gate road. In glades and valleys the first crocuses of spring pushed their pale leaves through the drying ground, and clinging vines showed sparks of green on bare grey trees.

But the quiet serenity of the morning was lost on the young man galloping grimly through the streets of Orden City. Sun-seared and disheveled, he pulled his horse up at the east end of the capital and looked up at the dark, gleaming pinnacle overshadowing the outer wall: Mitheren, Tower of Kings. A silent symbol of bygone austerity, a steadfast vigil pointed eastwards to the old threats. Its imposing make seemed to touch the rider for a moment even in his haste, and he stalled, the reins loose in one hand and his dark eyes wide. Then he swung off his mount, led it over to a nearby tree where he tied it securely, and exchanged some low, hurried words with the guard at the door. At their nod, he rushed within. He had a message for the king; he would not wait.

~*~

...that eight hundreds of the army should depart at the king's discretion to accompany and protect the embassy to Arahad. Also that with them should go Captain Keyes and the lords of Calen and Halingir, and many gifts besides, and it is hoped by this to renew the alliance, which has been uneasy these two generations past. All these proposals were approved and carried, and the embassy is to depart the fifth of April. (Further note appended at the request of the General Derek Winston: the embassy departed as designed.)

Lord Darethin protested sending so great a force into another country's territory, calling it "questionable policy". He was overruled by Captain Rhodes, Captain Keyes, and the representative from Grinaz Hall on the grounds that Arahad values display and opulence, and regards small embassies, especially from greater countries, as a disrespect and a potential threat; and that furthermore, they shall be passing through the territory of the barbarians. Lord Darethin requested his displeasure noted.

The next assembly was set for the fourteenth of April.

The council was dispersed.

Chronicle of the second council meeting in the season of Luenna, on the thirtieth day of March, by the hand of Culhas the secretary, complete.

Further note appended at the request of the General Derek Winston: That the state of the army is growing rapidly poor, due to the manifold skirmishes on the north border with Wild Men of late. Though at present we are surrounded by allies, it may nonetheless become a danger. Let not the time of peace be used as an excuse to lie in sloth. We must see to the strengthening of our defense, whether by a conscription or—

"My General?"

"Aye," the General answered, lifting his head from the papers he was reviewing. "Captain Rhodes?"

"My General." Captain Rhodes entered and bent his head in a swift bow. There was a darkness in his eyes like doubt or concern. "Below there is a man who has ridden here in great haste. He bears an urgent message, he says, for the king's ears."