Chapter 22

"Do you know if she was still taking her Quetiapine?" The nurse asks Tobias. She had been asking him a million questions about Tris, but he was too dazed to answer. His head was spinning, and she speaks again, "This is critical information."

"I don't even know what that is!" Tobias exclaims.

"It's used to treat illnesses such as depression, or bipolar disorder," the nurse sighs. 

"Yes, she was on it," Tobias says, "Why are you asking me this?"

The nurse turns and walks away, and Tobias slumped onto a bench. His heart was pounding against his chest, and he barely noticed when Christina rushes in toward him.

"What happened? Is she okay?" Christina asks urgently, "Please tell me she's okay."

"Car accident," Tobias says bluntly, "She's stable at the moment, but they won't let anyone in yet."

Tears fill Christina's eyes, and she collapses into his arms. It felt odd hugging her, but they both needed someone now.

Tobias did not know how long he sat on the bench next to Christina for, but he was dozing off when someone walked up to them.

"Are you here for Beatrice Prior?" A woman asks, and they nod, "It is supposed to be family only, but her parents... She is asking for Tobias."

"That's me," Tobias shoots up, Christina behind him, "She needs to come too."

The doctor looks hesitant, but does not argue. They follow her into a room a few doors away, and he sighs in relief when he sees Tris sitting up in the bed.

"I'm okay," She smiles, "But they have me on some pretty heavy pain meds."

Christina bursts into tears again and kneels next to the bed, and Tris grabs her hand.

"She hit her head pretty hard, and we thought we saw signs of internal bleeding, but she was totally fine," The doctor says to Tobias, "She seemed to be in a lot of pain when she first came in, but her levels are normal now."

Tobias walks up to the bed, and Tris smiles brightly at him, "I missed you!"

"I missed you too," He smiles and sits next to her.

"Have you heard about my parents? I haven't seen them," She sighs, "Caleb was here earlier, he broke his arm. Why am I even here?"

"You were in an accident," Christina says.

"Oh, yeah," Tris shrugs, "I'm fine. I want to leave."

Tris wasn't very aware of her surroundings. Her thoughts were jumbled, and she could barely think straight.

"Where are my parents?" She asks again.

Tobias and Christina stay silent. They did not know how to answer her question, and they didn't want to give her false hope. Her parents were in a critical condition, and Marcus got a hold of aunt and uncle, Nita's parents, and they were on their way already. Of course Tobias was grateful that Tris was okay, but he didn't know if it would be temporary or not.

They sit with Tris for a while, and she slowly gets more and more tired as the medication wears off. She stopped asking about her parents, but she was terrified, despite her silence.

At about two in the afternoon, Nita rushes into the room, her eyes filled with tears. She wasn't crying because Tris was okay, there was something else that had her so upset.

"I... I need to talk to Tris alone," Nita says. She didn't even say hello, or ask how she was. Something was not right, and Tobias felt a pit form in his stomach.