The Gala

A/N: This is my first actual DWP fic so, I hope you like it! I wanted to note, that any pictures I use are from my Pinterest or Google Images. No copyright infringement is intended. As always my good peeps, enjoy your reading!

Much Love,

Donna

The Dragon Lady, Miranda Priestly has finally gotten her wish. She had wished her whole life for someone to love her unconditionally. She found love with her assistant Andrea Sachs who was 24 years her junior. Ageism was a word that wasn't in either of their vocabularies, and all that mattered to them was that they loved each other and that Miranda's twins, Caroline and Cassidy approved of the situation.

The first people to know of the relationship between Miranda and Andy were Miranda's twins, Caroline and Cassidy, followed by Nigel, Emily and Serena. Miranda and Andy had decided to keep their love a secret from the rest of the world until 3 months into it, when they were sure things would work out well for them. They had contacted the Human Resources Department as well as Leslie, Miranda's publicist to get things set up before they came out as a couple to the world.

It was June 15th, 2008 and, it was the 25th anniversary of Miranda being the Editor and Chief of Runway. To celebrate the occasion, Elias-Clarke put on a gala for the Editor of their most profitable magazine. Decidedly, it was also the day, that Miranda and Andy had chosen to come out as a couple when Miranda was to give her speech to over 500 people that were attending the event.

On Friday, the night before the gala, Miranda set her alarm for 5am. She and Andy had to wake the twins up early and get them ready for their father to pick them up at 6am. They had a busy day full of preparation for the gala later on that night. "Good bye girls, we shall see you soon. Don't forget to have fun and behave." Miranda said as their father picked them up. "Yes mom." they replied as the headed out the door to there father's car.

Once the girls were gone, Andy made breakfast for herself and Miranda. Breakfast had been a quick affair of eating pancakes, eggs and bacon. "Thanks for breakfast darling, it was very good." Miranda told Andy as she put their plates into the dishwasher. Andrea came up behind her girlfriend and wrapped her arms around Miranda's waist. "You are most welcome. Hey did you get your speech finished for tonight?" She asked as Miranda turned to face Andy. "Honestly, I think I am just going to wing it. I am nervous about all of this but figure, the words should come as I start to speak. Speaking of my speech, are you coming up on stage with me, while I give it?" After Miranda was done talking, Andy moved her hands from Miranda's waist to cup her cheeks, "Of course I will. You know I would be more than happy to." When they finished their conversation, they had to clean the house before the Runwaycrew arrived to help them get ready in time to leave for the gala which, started at 7pm. By the time they were done cleaning the house, it was 5:30 and the Runway crew had just arrived.

"Hello, hello, hello." Nigel said as he greeted the couple with a kiss on the cheek followed by Emily and Serena. "Hey guys! I am going to get ready in the guest bedroom, while Miranda gets ready in our bedroom." Andy paused as she looked at the garment bags in Emily's arms, " Oooh, which one is mine?" The Brit just rolled her eyes. "Yours is the blue garment bag and Miranda's is the black one. Oh and by the way Andy, you're stuck with me for help getting ready. When Serena is finished with Miranda's make up and, Nigel's finished with her hair, they'll be able to complete your hair and make up." After greeting each other, Emily followed Andy into the guest bedroom, while Nigel and Serena followed Miranda into their bedroom. They had decided to get ready in separate rooms so they could surprise each other. Miranda's dress was made by Alexander McQueen. It was a simple black dress, with long sleeves, a sweetheart neck line and it was sophisticated, as is anything Miranda wears. She chose a small diamond necklace with a matching set of earrings and of course a pair of 5 inch Prada heels. For Miranda's hair, Nigel curled it slightly. While Nigel did Miranda's hair, Serena did her make-up in soft and subtle style. "Well Miranda, I think you're going to make Six's jaw drop when she sees you. You look gorgeous Miranda." Serena walked up behind Nigel and said, "Querida, I agree with Nigel, you look absolutely gorgeous." Miranda smirked and started to walk out of the room. "Thank you, Nigel. Serena. I trust when you all are finished, you shall join Andrea and I in the den for a drink?"

Back in the guest room, Andy had just got into her dress. Andy's dress was a gorgeous cerulean Versace gown. It was a dress that also had a deep sweetheart neck line, long sleeves and was semi-backless. It was accentuated by a simple braided gold chain necklace with gold hoop earrings along with, a pair of silver 4 inch Jimmy Choo's. She sat in front of the vanity as Nigel did her hair in an vintage Hollywood style curl while Serena applies a look of smoky eyes and dark red lips. Finally, Serena and Nigel were ready to show their gorgeous Six off to Miranda. The pair were quite definitely going to be the envy of everyone. Of course, who wasn't envious of the fashion icon? The three friends made their way into the den, Emily already there. Miranda had her back turned towards them as she was making herself and Andy some cocktails, leaving the others to make their own. She didn't know that they had finished, but when she turned around, her jaw dropped and she went week in the knees, as did Andy. Their Runway friends decided to make themselves scarce saying that, they'd meet the couple at the gala. "My Andrea. You look absolutely stunning, darling. I love your gown, Nigel did a wonderful job picking it out. Serena also did a great job on your make-up." Andy walked over to where her girlfriend stood. "Miranda, you look gorgeous. I am so lucky to have you." Miranda took her hand and said, "And I you, darling. We must hurry Roy's waiting and the gala starts in a half hour." The next thing they knew, they had arrived at the gala. Before they exited the car, Miranda said to Andy, "Since they still don't know that we are a couple, I want you to walk two steps behind me as per usual. Then when I get up to make my speech, I will ask you to come up on stage with me." Andy just nodded in agreement as they made their way into the gala for a night of mingling, fun and excitement.

Miranda was half way through greeting friends and colleagues, when she was called up on stage for her speech. It was only a matter of minutes before she'd have to call Andrea up on stage. Only a matter of minutes before she would see the reaction on the faces over 500 people attending a gala put on by Runway, in her honor.

Miranda had walked up on stage, Andy only a few steps behind. Once at the podium, Andy stood off to the side of Miranda. It was time for the world to know that the fashion icon and her assistant turned girlfriend were done hiding their love.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to the gala. Your attendance is greatly appreciated. As you all know, I have made and continue to keep Runway the most profitable magazine at Elias-Clarke Publications, for the past 25 years. It has truly been the ride of lifetime, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This magazine is my life and has been since I first started working here as an intern."

Miranda put her right arm behind her, beckoning Andy to come to up beside her. It was go big or go home. It was time.

"While there are many people to thank for a wonderful 25 years thus far, I am only going to thank the people who are near and dear to my heart the most. I have to thank Donatella for being a good friend as well as being Versace, one of my favorite designers. Next I have to thank my children, for they keep me grounded and happy. After them, I must thank my staff, Emily, Nigel and Serena. You three are some of the most competent staff at the magazine. However, there is one person I must thank more than anyone. She has kept me steady, happy and grounded. Not to mention she has kept me from going insane over the incompetence of some of the other Runway employees."

She took a deep breath, one that centered her. It's the end of her speech and they were in for a hell of a surprise.

"I am greatly thankful for my assistant, and my positively stunning girlfriend, Andrea. I am not going to say anything more than that. However, I will say this. Thank you for a wonderful 25 years as Editor and Chief at Runway and hopefully more. That's all."

After mingling, answering questions and thanking people for their kind words, they exited the gala and went home. It was time for relaxation before Page Six among other tabloids started their usual antics. Oh what a joy that was going to be.