Karaoke-Dokie

The stage called to me, and I decided to join whoever was up there. I grabbed a mic and stared at the screen, allowing the person beside me to choose the song. I heard notes of a piano playing, and I instantly recognized the song.

I rolled my eyes and looked at the person next to me. He began to laugh out loud, but started to sing and was surprisingly good at it.

"The snow blows white on the mountain tonight..." he started, and I joined in after that. I wasn't the best, but he seemed to like my voice. Ours complimented each others'.

By the time we'd finished the song, we were in a laughing fit. It had been so much fun, even though I wasn't used to singing karaoke in front of complete strangers with a complete stranger.

The guy I had sung with walked off the stage with me and introduced himself. "I'm Emerson. You're actually pretty good at singing!"

"Oh, thanks," I shrugged. "I'm Shea, by the way," I giggled.

"Hey, that rhymes," he told me as if I hadn't noticed. I nodded and giggled once more. "Come with me?" He held out his hand as he invited me along.

"Um, sure," I nodded and followed him out of the restaurant's karaoke night. He led me out into the cold nighttime. "Where are we going?"

"We're going to take a walk," he announced. I nodded, a little skeptical. I was going on a walk with a complete stranger with whom I'd just sung "Let it Go" from the most overplayed movie.

"So whyd you chose that song?" I questioned.

"I always chose a song everyone knows when I sing with someone I don't know. But it usually doesn't go that well," he admits.

"So you're saying...?"

"You're different than the others. It sounds about as cliché as the song, but you stepped up on that stage, and there was something different about you. I sing karaoke with plenty of people, but you were the best I've ever sung with."

"Emerson," I could barely say anything. I was almost speechless.

"No, Shea. You were amazing. I like people who take risks, which is why I sing karaoke to meet people," he shrugs, and I laugh.

"That's a great way, though," I assured him.

He nodded. "Want to go somewhere else with me?"

"As in, where?"

"A movie. A restaurant. Wherever you'd like," he spoke, allowing me to add to the conversation.

"Let's just keep walking. And talking. It's nice," I smiled and realized he had been for a while.

That night, I learned a lot about Emerson. He learned plenty about me. We planned another date for a few days after that, and we both considered our walk a "date."

At the end of the night, he kissed me suddenly, and his adventurous personality showed as he did. It never occurred to me that just one night can change your life.