June 11, 2052: Tacoma, WA

Ground control to Major Tom

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...

"You're an asshole," Kanan said, grinning, as his frequent co-pilot, occasional fellow miscreant and good friend Mike Skelly bellied up to the bar, returning from a trip to the old-fashioned jukebox. They were currently the only two patrons in the dive bar that was a favorite of the denizens of Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Kanan slid a glass of expensive whiskey over to Skelly. "You don't deserve that fine libation."

"It's Bowie, man. What are you bitching about? You love Bowie." Skelly chuckled. He picked up the glass of whiskey and took a swig, and then looked at Kanan in confusion. "This here is sippin' whiskey, brother. I thought we were getting plastered tonight. You're gonna be an astronaut!"

"And 'Space Oddity' is the song you pick to celebrate that?" Kanan shook his head, laughing. "Asshole."

"'Starman' is up next. I need to piss. Get me a beer, willya?"

Skelly sauntered off towards the bathroom. Kanan leaned to one side on the bar stool and pulled his phone out of his jeans pocket. One new message.

Ezra: Missed your call. Got practice until 7. Call you after.

Kanan smiled and deposited the thin piece of bendy plastic on the bar, so he could see it when Ezra called.

"Still using one of those old things, eh?" The bartender, Mena, leaned one elbow on the bar and raised an eyebrow.

"You know me...I like antiques."

Mena's eyes narrowed, but a smile played around her lips. "That sounds like a cheap shot."

"You're not an antique. You're a beautiful, slightly older woman that I would like to take out to dinner sometime," Kanan said, hoping it sounded as sincere as it felt. He'd seen her at least once a week for the better part of a year. She was beautiful, with dark hair and eyes. But even better- she was ballsy, and whip smart. And Kanan loved nothing more than an intelligent, tough woman.

"You know I don't date Air Force guys."

"Well, I'm not an Air Force guy anymore, as it happens," Kanan said, giving her the smile that had always worked pretty well on members of the better sex. "Got the call today- I got in. I'm part of the Astronaut Candidate Class of 2052, Mena."

She looked surprised, and then pleased. "Holy shit! That's amazing!"

"Jesus Christ," Skelly complained, sliding onto a bar stool. "Are you two still at it? You know, some people just want to drink in peace, Jarrus. They don't want to watch you unsuccessfully flirt with the poor bartender every damn night. And YOU," he said, pointing at Mena. "You're not exactly discouraging him!"

She shrugged. "I do what I want, Mike. At least he finally asked me out this time."

"Yeah, that's convenient, seeing as he's leaving in August," Mike said, throwing Kanan a look.

Kanan's phone buzzed on the bar. Ezra. "Gotta take this," he said, as he grabbed the phone. He jumped up and headed towards the door at the front of the bar.

"Convenient. I'm drinking your whiskey while you're gone," Skelly called after him

Once outside, Kanan tapped the 'talk' image on the phone's transparent screen. "Hey! How was practice?"

"Same old same old. Our team sucks. Worst soccer team in California, I think. So, what's up?" Ezra asked.

"I got in."