Chapter 5

Warm sunshine returned Tuesday morning, so Austin and I soaked up some rays from Caleb’s rowboat on Yellowstone Lake. Before he allowed us to take his boat, Caleb had insisted on both Austin and me being present for a stern boating safety lecture. To anyone submerged, the frigid waters of the lake would cause hypothermia in minutes with death following soon after. Careless behavior on the lake was simply not an option. Storms could develop quickly resulting in waves too large for the boat to handle. We were to stay close to shore, be alert, and avoid areas with dangerous thermal features along the shoreline. Though much of what Caleb said was a repeat of what we had been told on the scenic cruise, I, unlike Austin, listened patiently and intently.

“Geez, he treats me like I’m a complete idiot. I’ve known these things since I was a little kid. I’m gettin’ really tired of his being so bossy and overbearing. He’s worse this year than he’s ever been,” Austin complained after Caleb finally let us launch.

“Maybe he was lecturing me more than you since I’m new and all,” I suggested.

“Maybe, I guess. He does act weird around you. What’s up with that anyway?”

“Beats me. I don’t think he likes you hanging out with me for some reason. Whatever,” I shrugged.

“I’ll hang out with anyone I want to hang out with. He’s not going to control everything I do, and he might as well figure that out now. There’s somewhere I want to show you this afternoon. I think I can get us a ride.”

“Does that mean it’s somewhere you aren’t supposed to go? I don’t want to get you in trouble. Caleb already seems to think I’m a bad influence on you.”

“I’m not worried about it.”

We passed the rest of the morning paddling around the marina area. Keeping the boat moving along a straight path proved more difficult than it appeared, and we spent as much time laughing at my lack of rowing finesse as we did actually paddling. When we got hungry we made our way back to the dock. Austin went inside the marina office and arranged for Drew to give us a ride during his lunch break and to pick us up after his shift was over. We hurried back to Austin’s camper, grabbed some food and hiking supplies, and made it back to meet Drew just in time for his break.  

Drew dropped us off at an unmarked trailhead a few miles past Gran’s campground at Fishing Bridge. I didn’t have my bear bells, but I figured that was no big deal since Caleb had declared them useless anyway. We brought plenty of water and food, and Austin carried a can of bear spray from the camper. I felt guilty that I hadn’t told Gran where I was going, but she seemed to be ok with anything I did with Austin.  I persuaded myself that it was probably alright.

 “Are you sure we should be doing this?” I asked as we started up the trail.

“It’s fine. I’ve done this hike a million times. Let’s eat here before we hike. I’m starving.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“I like this trail. It’s one of my favorites,” Austin commented through a mouthful of food. “It has some pretty steep inclines, but we’ll take it slow. It’s totally worth it.”

Lounging on a fallen log in the warm sunshine, we savored our hastily made sandwiches and watched a raven eyeing us as it hopped from branch to branch of a nearby tree, its head tilted to the side in concentration. “I think he’s considering a dive bomb attack on your chips,” I observed.

“He’ll never try it. He knows I’d take him down.”

“Yeah, you’re pretty scary alright.” The bird let out a raucous squawk of agreement with perfect timing. “See, told ya’,” I laughed.