Chapter 16

I’d never known such cold could exist. The breath was sucked from my lungs, and every muscle in my body went rigid as icy pain overwhelmed my system. Waves tossed me head-over-heels until somehow I righted myself and broke through the surface gasping for air. Cold water pelted me; colder water surrounded me, pulled at me. Unbearable tons of pressure compressed my chest as I fought to inhale some much needed air. I breathed in as much rain water as air, and a fit of coughing convulsed my body just before a large wave crashed into my face. Panic seized me. I was going to die.

I struggled to the surface again and carefully turned away from the oncoming waves before I allowed myself another gasp for air. The incoming oxygen felt so good; I breathed quickly to take in as much as I could. My heart raced and my teeth chattered uncontrollably, but I forced myself to calm down. I was a good swimmer. I needed to kick to stay above the surface, but my wet shoes were so heavy I could barely move my legs. After taking a deep breath, I bent my right knee and reached down with my hands to untie my shoe, sinking below the surface as I did so. My fingers wouldn’t work. They numbly fumbled with the laces, this normally menial task requiring monumental effort. Exhaustion overtook me by the time I finally managed to untie the knot, so I paused to rest before I attempted to remove the shoe.

I looked around for one of the boats, but I couldn’t see anything through the rain and spray that kept hitting and stinging my eyes. I shoved at the heel of my untied shoe with the toe of my left, eventually freeing my heel. One more nudge had the shoe drifting away into the depths of the lake. I scissor kicked my right leg with all my strength, yelled for help hoping desperately someone could hear me, then reached to untie my left shoe. The freezing water had turned my fingers into huge, numb sausages at the ends of my hands. I couldn’t even identify the laces, much less untie them. It felt too weird to even try. I gave up and focused instead on moving my increasingly heavy limbs through the cold water enough to barely keep my head above the surface. I called out again and again. My teeth chattered like crazy and my shaky voice seemed to weaken with each passing moment. I lost all track of time. The rain gradually became a thin mist blown almost horizontal by the gusting wind. I was so very tired and heavy. If only I had on a life jacket, I could float, nap, and allow the waves to rock me gently up and down, I thought drowsily. My eyes drifted closed.

“Jessie!” I heard my name and wondered if it was already time to get up for school . . . but that wasn’t my mom’s voice. Why couldn’t they go away and leave me alone.

 I gave a kick and irritably tried to yell back.  “What?” Forcing my heavy eyelids open, I saw the dim outline of a boat. “Here,” I shouted weakly. I could hear voices, but they didn’t make much sense. It felt as if lead weights were strapped to each arm and leg. I only wanted to sleep.

“She’s in the water!” a female voice shouted. I’d just rest and nap for a second. That would be ok. At least, I didn’t feel as cold as I had before.

“Noooo!” I heard him bellow as I sank below the surface. Caleb. Through sheer determination, I willed my lifeless legs into one last kick.

When my head bobbed above the water, I heard their urgent shouts. “We can’t get to her in time,” yelled a silky-smooth, female voice.

“Stop, Sasha! Don’t! I’m doing it!” Jolie’s familiar voice ordered. Strength abandoned me. My heavy eyelids closed, and my exhausted limbs, no longer obeying my will, relaxed as I floated into peaceful sleep. Sinking . . . sinking . . . sinking .

Deep underneath the waters of Yellowstone Lake, my eyes flew open. My brain cleared. I would not drown. My legs kicked and my arms slashed through the water with a powerful stroke I’d never possessed on my best day at the pool. I shot to the surface like a cork popping from a champagne bottle. Easily, I swam across the churning lake and latched onto the ladder at the side of the boat. Strong arms pulled me aboard. I stood feeling as if I had stepped from a refreshing shower, though only for a second, before a violent shivering racked my bones, and the world tilted sideways then darkened like the coming of night.